35 | What needed to be done

Day 1: Disaster

Eria

My mother was a strong, independent woman who loved her family beyond anything else, even her own life. I thought the scene unfolding before me was just another nightmare, like all those nightmares before, and I would wake up any second now, right on the futon next to Ochako's bed.

But it wasn't.

"M-mom..." Hinata croaked feebly, beseeching his mother that was about to end his life.

My mother didn't hear anything. She remained rooted to the spot, unmoving.

"Eria! Stay back!" Scarlet Autumna cried as she sat on the ground; one of her legs were bent in an awkward angle. "Your mother! She......"

I wanted to beg my mother to stop. I didn't want to hurt her. I wanted to wake up from this nightmare. But the light was draining from Hinata's eyes......

I hurled a punch at my mother's torso. She whined in pain and dropped my brother to the floor. I hoped one punch could wake my mother. But she spun on the spot to meet me; her beautiful blue eyes had turned into a ferocious red.

A strong blow connected at my torso. I buckled, then my mother kicked me through the wall of the kitchen. I landed outside of the house in an ear-splitting crash, air knocked out of my lungs.

I became the target of my mother's ruthless onslaught. She flew through the human-shaped hole in the wall and punched the ground where my face was lying. I dodged in time, realising with the worst dread in my life that I had to fight my mother.

"Mom! It's me!" My voice cracked with strain as I shouted desperately. "MOM!"

My mother heard nothing. In one swift, fluid motion, she flew across the ground between us and hurled a punch at my head. I parried the attack but instantly I was blasted away. Pain seared in my hands; my bones felt like broken.

My heart scorched painfully, seeing the manic glint in her eyes, the blood on her white blouse.

This is not my mother. I told myself another lie. This is a villain pretending to be my mother. My mother would be back soon. She will never hurt me or her family.

My mother let out a bestial roar. Her large wings spread open on her back. Murderous aura enveloped her.

She was going in for the kill.

She was going to kill me.

I couldn't see what happened. It was just a blur of shapes and colours. When I came to, I was pinned to the ground. My mother had caged me in. Her strong arms held my arms tight and crushed my bones in a painstakingly slow process.

I shrieked in pain, thrashing around to free myself. My quirk couldn't fight against my mother: she was too strong. I needed my hidden demon.

But I didn't want to summon it. I didn't want to retaliate.

Because this bloodthirsty demon that wanted to kill me was my mother.

"Mom... mom..." I cried. My throat burned. "Please stop... please..."

My mother was unmoving.

"MOM!" I wailed as my mother raised her sharp talons. "WAKE UP, MOM! MOM!"

My mother didn't say anything. She didn't move neither.

I'm gonna die. My mother's gonna kill me. She's gonna be a murderer. I can't let her do this. I can't —

Droplets of water splattered onto my tear-streaked face.

I looked up. My mother was crying. Her eyes were turning into a blend of red and blue as she started to regain control over herself. Her aloft arm quaked, as though she was fighting the bloodthirsty desire to kill me.