09 | You're you

Todoroki (happened before the events of Chapter 8)

Todoroki was used to being alone since he was young. He had very few friends because he never liked socializing with people. Most of his free time was used in training and sharpening his skills. He was so used to being alone that when Takasaki Eria approached him occasionally, he disliked it. It felt like his personal space was invaded.

However, he admired her strength. She was one of the very few people who almost defeated him in battle. He wondered the true strength of her demon quirk after witnessing it during the battle at USJ.

It had perked his interest in the demon girl. How cold could she withstand his ice? How hot could she resist his flames? Will her strength rival All Might's?

Todoroki wanted to ask her all these questions. Or even better, experiment it practically. However, it seemed out of place to ask her anything, considering she was just some annoying busybody classmate whom he often met outside of school.

"Oh Todoroki. Can we sit?" said Takasaki who interrupted Todoroki's train of thoughts.

He looked up from his zaru soba. The girl was accompanied by Iida Tenya and Uraraka Ochako.

"Sure," he replied monotonously.

"Thanks," said Takasaki as she sat beside him.

Todoroki silently slurped his soba while listening to his classmates' conversation. They were discussing about the sports festival.

"Todoroki-kun!" Uraraka's chirpy voice drew his attention. "Let's do our best in the sports festival, okay?"

He was slightly taken aback by Uraraka's motivation that it took him a few seconds to react. "Hmm."

"Todoroki-kun would probably excel in the sports festival as expected," commented Iida.

Takasaki nodded as she ate her omurice. "I believe we all will. We've just got to start training now."

Their discussion went on. Occasionally Todoroki's name was called. It felt like he had joined them in their friend circle. It was never his intention to do so. He did not join U.A. to make friends.

Todoroki wanted to tell them. The words ached in his throat: "I'm sorry. I didn't come here to make friends." His mouth opened slightly as he readied to speak. However, as he looked at the three of them, the words never came out. A strange feeling had rooted in his heart. It had muted him. He was a smart boy yet he had failed to comprehend why he was feeling like this.

...... Am I enjoying their company?

He didn't know what to do during situations like this. He faced vicious villains boldly, yet he was clueless in this situation. He listened silently as he slurped his soba. He only spoke when he was spoken to.

Should I say something?

Todoroki glanced at Takasaki. A tuft of white hair stood out from her dark purple hair. It was never there before.

Was it because of the USJ incident? Should I ask her?

......I shouldn't. It's not my business. I'm not here to make friends with her.

He never said anything for the rest of recess. Nor did he in class. Even when school ended, he didn't say anything to her. But the words continued to ache in his throat like a sore lump.

Takasaki Eria walked in front of him as they headed in the same direction to the train station. She was accompanied by Midoriya, Iida and Uraraka. He silently watched her as he walked, sometimes wondering what they were talking about.