41 | Remedy for her tragedy

Eria

Horror throbbed in my mind painfully. It was déjà vu: I returned to the time when I temporarily lost my quirk, the fear grappling my insides, my mind blank with shock.

Why wasn't my quirk working?! Especially at a crucial moment like this?!

Was it... was it one of the consequences caused by the quirk-strengthening drug? That I might lose my quirk for real?

My whole body was shivering. One of my worst fears was coming true once again.

Kirishima and Amajiki turned to look at me. They wanted to say something but I stopped them.

"Eria, you can —" Fat Gum spoke but I interrupted him.

"I can do this," I said. I refuse to believe that my quirk couldn't be activated.

You can't fail me now! I own you!

My face was scrunched together as I forced my quirk to activate. There was a tiny surge of power, like the feeble flame of candle, but it was easily extinguished.

"Eria, stay back," said Fat Gum. "You are in no condition to participate the raid."

"But you need me! You need my quirk! I can make this work!" I retorted, my temper rising because of my uselessness.

"Eria, I said no! Stay behind! You're not allowed to join this raid! I can't let you get hurt!"

"But!"

"I am your mentor. You listen to me or I'll end your internship immediately!" Fat Gum bellowed.

Clenching my fists, I looked away. "Fine."

It was my mistake to begin with. If I had not been drugged by the villains, my quirk would still be working. If my quirk was still working, I could help the raid team and save that little girl named Eri. I couldn't be angry at Fat Gum because I should be angry at myself, my stupidity and my uselessness.

Fat Gum, Kirishima and Amajiki gave me a sympathetic look before they entered the Shie Hassaikai base with everyone else, while I just stood beside the police stationed outside, feeling hopeless than ever.

***

The raid ended fairly quick. It began at 8:30AM and ended at 9:15AM. Casualties were minimal, thanks to the heroes and the police's efficiency. Eri was saved, the Shie Hassaikai was apprehended, however, at a devastating cause.

Togata Mirio, a.k.a Lemillion had permanently lost his quirk, while his mentor, Sir Nighteye died due to severe injuries.

So many things happened in less than one hour. The shock was too overwhelming for me. Guilt settled in the pit of my stomach and a voice hissed angrily, blaming me for my incompetence.

'If your quirk worked, maybe you can prevent the bad things from happening.'

'It's all your fault.'

'You're useless, Takasaki Eria. You don't deserve to be a hero.'

Fat Gum didn't approach me until he placed Kirishima in the ambulance. The red-haired boy obviously had been through a tough spot, while Fat Gum turned thin and muscular instead of his roundness.

As though he knew how I felt, he touched my shoulder gently, coaxing me. "It's not your fault."

I remained silent, for the shock had sapped me of all my energy to cry in an outburst. It was futile anyway.

Uravity approached me after the battle. Her quiet presence was barely comforting, as my erratic mind was filled with negative thoughts of my incompetence. She wanted to say something, but somehow the words were swallowed back.