10 | His scar

Eria

Honestly, I did not expect Todoroki to say such genuine words. After listening to him, it felt like a huge burden was lifted from my chest. The anxiety that gnawed me from within was replaced by a sense of tranquility.

"Thanks, Todoroki," I said with a smile. "I felt better listening to you." I took in a deep breath. "You're right. I'm not Lucifer. I'm... Takasaki Eria. I won't become a demon like him."

"You're welcome. Keep that positive thinking and you'll be fine." A gentle look spread across Todoroki's face. "I believe in you."

Those were four magical words. They successfully boosted my morale. He... believes in me?

"You're...... not afraid of me? That I would go berserk and..." I asked with trepidation.

"Kill me? I'd like to see you try," he scoffed. "But you do have a high chance to succeed."

I rolled my eyes and chuckled. "Gee, thanks, Todoroki. That is really comforting."

"And... I'm not afraid of you. Not one bit. You're just annoying sometimes. And clingy. And irritating."

Okay! I get it! Stop that!

"... But you're a nice person. And besides, you're not that scary. Compared to... never mind." He frowned. It was more to anger than fear. His fists clenched, and his teeth gritted. Not a good sign, though. Whatever he was thinking about, I should get it off his mind for a while.

"Can I hug you?" I requested. I felt an urge to hug people, now that the tension within me subsided.

He sternly rejected. "No."

"But friends hug after they comforted each other," I explained coyly.

He stared at me with disbelief. "...... Really?"

I stifled a laughter. "Oh god, you're just too pure. You really—"

Before I could register what was happening, I was pulled into Todoroki's warm embrace. His muscly arms squeezed me as his chin rested on my shoulder. The scent of fresh grass, mint and strawberry filled my nostrils. He smelled nice.

"T-t-t-todoroki! What are you doing?!" I shouted with astonishment as I flustered. A pale shade of pink dusted my cheeks.

"Hugging you. You said it's what friends do," he said nonchalantly.

You're just too pure! What did I do to deserve you!

My heart was beating too fast that blood rushed to my cheeks. Cautiously, I returned the hug by wrapping my arms around his torso too. We stayed like this for a while, enjoying the sweet warmth of the embrace.

"You know, friends also give each other money for free..."

"Don't take this too far, Takasaki," he said as he abruptly released me. His face turned away, trying to hide the pink that dyed his cheeks.

I recalled everything he has said to me. With a wide smile, I said, "Thank you, Todoroki, from the bottom of my heart."

Todoroki stared at me, eyes widened, mouth slightly agape. He looked as if he was shocked down to his core.

"What was that expression?" I questioned.

"...... Nothing."

"Friends tell each other everything!" I nagged.

"...... Like I said, it was nothing."

I gave him a cold stare.

Suddenly, something growled and grumbled loudly.