Jin

"Sooo...you ever going to take that coffee date with me?"
I glance up from my book to my new friend, Ken, and also lab partner.
I frown, fidgeting with my pen. "Uh, I actually have to get home right after school." I explain, already missing my twins.
I know Namjoon is going to want to talk soon. I've been avoiding him for weeks. Eventually I know I can't put it off any longer. I just don't want to be intimate. I can't. Not after...I feel so used and dirty and completely not worthy of my mate anymore. He deserves better. Someone more pure.
Plus every time I even consider it...I think about the pain and how much it hurt...I don't think my body can handle that again. Even if it could, I don't think my mind could.
I just don't want to talk about it and my mate has been kind enough to give me the space I need but I know he's getting angry the longer and longer I put it off. I avoid him like it's a sport.
Ken sighs. "You know I really like you, Jin."
I force a smile. "I know and I enjoy spending time with you but I have responsibilities at home. And a partner." I add.
His eyes widen. "You have a boyfriend? Since when? You've never mentioned him before."
I gather my things. "Because it wasn't relevant. We are lab partners and study together. We don't have a relationship that warrants you needing to know about my partner, Ken." I explain as kindly as I can.
He stands up, looking upset. "So you've just been playing with my feelings? You even agreed to go on a double date with me and your brother, Taehyung and his boyfriend!"
I roll my eyes. "That wasn't a double date. It was a friendly gathering to grab some food and watch a movie. I needed a break from home. That's it."
He scoffs. "Does your boyfriend know about me? Does he know that you like to be with me to escape from him and your home life?"
I feel my chest tighten. "It's none of your business, Ken." Now I'm getting angry and feeling a little guilty. Namjoon wouldn't be happy. Which is why I've never mentioned Ken to him.

     When I get back home, Jimin and Jungkook have taken the kids to the park while Suran is with Tae at Bogum's house. Hoseok and Yoongi are at the gym.
     It's eerily quiet but I know he's waiting for me. Feeling apprehensive, I drop my bag and walk into the bedroom. It's empty. Biting my lip, I walk down the hall to his office and peak inside.
     He's sitting at his desk, staring into his laptop which has now gone blank. "I thought you were coming right home?" He asks without turning.
     "I got...delayed. I'm sorry. When is everyone coming back?" I ask, stepping inside.
      He sighs and swivels his chair around to face me. He looks tired with dark circles under his eyes. I feel even guiltier and don't know what to say.
      "Well...I'm glad you're home now. You have been going out so much lately..."
     I nod mutely. It's true. I try to be home as little as possible. I've even been shutting out Hoseok and Jimin unfairly.
     "Are you going to talk to me now?" He asks, pinching the bridge of his nose with his fingers.
     "I'm here." I sigh.
     "Jin..." He twirls his engagement ring on the desk before between us. "Do you want this?"
      My breath hitches. "What?"
     "Do you want this? Us? You've changed. Since before the twins were born you changed. I know you were hurt and I wasn't here to protect you. Is that what this is? You're punishing me for not doing my job as your mate?"
     "N-no."
     He smiles but it's more bitter. "I think you are. I don't know what to do. You won't give me the time of day to talk it out. To see what's wrong between us. Did you know..." he sighs, smacking the engagement ring to the desk hard. "Our wedding was planned for this month."
     My eyes widen in surprise. "What?"
     He laughs. "I planned our wedding to take place this month. I had to cancel it because you refused to answer my calls or come home for me to tell you the news. I feel like I've lost everything in this relationship. The twins seem to be the only thing between us and they never see their eomma and appa together."
     I feel tears well up. He's right. I'm a terrible person. "I'm sorry."
      As I watch, sniffling, he chucks the ring into the trash. It hurts. "I've given you a month to get your mind straight. You can either talk to me now or it's over. I'll make it easy for you, love. I won't force you, I won't coerce you, and I won't beg you. All I ask is for you to talk to me honestly."
      I drop my face in my hands. I didn't want it to come to this but I should have expected it to. I've been so selfish and hurt him so much.
     "I-"
     "If you don't want this...then I will take a job transfer and leave. I'll give you the permanent space you obviously want from me. Just tell me what you want me to do. I'm leaving it all up to you." He explains, sitting back and waiting. His expression blank.
     "Joonie..." My stern brave exterior cracks and I begin to cry. The thought of never seeing him here with me again breaking me to pieces.
      He gets up and walks past me to the door. "I'll be in the bedroom. When you're ready, you can tell me what you want. After this, I'm done waiting, love. Make your choice wisely." And he walks out of the room.
      I fall to my knees and crawl to the trash can to retrieve the ring he threw away. Cradling it to my chest. I've pushed him away, pushed him too far. This is all my fault.