Chapter 4 - Viridian Forest

When I first entered Viridian forest, I saw that this place truly was a forest and was filled to the brim with new and interesting Pokemon. Most however, were bug Pokemon, specifically, Caterpie and Weedle, occasionally their evolved forms, Metapod and Kakuna were found here as well. However, I heard rumours from passing travellers that there were in fact wild Pikachu living in Virididan forest and I decided that I would capture one as a way of having a electric type. 

Looking around, I didn't see a single Pikachu around, however, i wouldn't allow that to deter me. However, I did battle many Pokemon that challenged me, my own Pokemon though easily bested their opponents without much effort. However, flying Pokemon were still a problem for me. 

Out of nowhere, a man dressed as a samurai approached me lowering his sword right before my face. "Who are you and what do you want?" I asked the boy who had confronted me, however he answered, "I am known as samurai and I have come to challenge you to a battle." He held a Pokeball out as he said this and I knew I had no choice but to accept his battle challenge. 

"Pinsir, assume battle mode" from his Pokeball appeared a bug armed with pincers appeared and looked quite threatening and powerful. Using my Pokedex I found that, Pinsir grips it's prey with powerful pincers and squeezes hard, however, it can't move when it's cold and therefore only lives in warm places. 

"Come out, Charmander" Charmander appeared and looked ready for battle against a tough opponent, but didn't appear nervous at all. "Pinsir use Tackle" the Pinsir charged towards my Charmader, however the move seemed rash and foolish. "Charmander, use Ember" Charmander unleashed Ember which was super effective against Pinsir and forced the samurai to return his defeated Pokemon. 

"Very impressive" the samurai said to me, while me and my Charmander just stared at him completely shocked as he thought his Bug type could defeat my Fire type. "This time, I choose Metapod." From what I know about Metapod, they are the evolved form of Caterpie and they have the move Harden which increases defence. 

"Charmander, return and take a break, we'll leave this to Spearow" Charmander returned and I grabbed Spearow's Pokeball. "Come out Spearow" Spearow appeared and eyed the Kakuna knowing he would be victorious. "Metapod Harden" the samurai said and I just commanded Spearow, "use Peck repeatedly" Spearow charged in and repeatedly used Peck and soon Metapod was defeated as all it knew was Harden.

"The victory is yours, well met, what might your name be though?" The samurai asked me and I answered, "my name is Sam, I thank you for the battle." We then went our separate ways, while I felt disappointed, the battle was easy and wasn't much of a challenge.

For the rest of the evening I resumed my search for any Pikachu's that might reside here, however I couldn't find a single one at all. However, I remembered that there are many other Electric type Pokemon out there and all I needed to be was patient. 

That night, I got my sleeping bag out and slept peacefully, keeping my Pokeballs near me at all times to ensure their safety. However, the next day, I awoke to the sound of some buzzing sounds nearby, looking up I saw a swarm of Beedrill flying somewhere and they were in a hurry. i couldn't help but remember the angry Spearow and wondered whether Ash was somehow responsible for angering Beedrill now as well. 

Getting ready, I avoided harassing the Beedril's as they searched for their intended target, for some reason unknown to me, the Beedril never fought me at all. However, I heard a strange rustling above me and when I looked up, I saw that a Pikachu was staring down at me with interest shining in it's eyes.

I then remembered that this was the Pokemon I had been searching for all this time and wondered why it was just observing me. "Do you want a battle? Or to come with me on my journey? Or both?" I asked the Pikachu, it jumped down and stared at me, sparks coming out of it's cheeks as it stood opposing me.

"I see, you want a battle, I accept your challenge" I brought forth my Charmander as Spearow was weak against electric attacks. "Come out Charmander" when Charmander appeared, he saw the Pikachu sparking threateningly towards him and assumed his battle position. I raised the Pokedex to scan the Pikachu and learned that they use their tale as a way of monitoring their surroundings and that pulling their tail will make them attempt to bite you.

Placing the Pokedex away, I waited to see what the Pikachu was planning on doing, Pikachu suddenly gathered electrical energy and unleashed a Thundershock against Charmander, "Charmander quickly dodge" when Charmander barely dodged the Thundershock I quickly launched a counterattack, "use Ember" Charmander fired an Ember however the Pikachu neatly sidestepped showing off impressive speed. 

The Pikachu tried another Thundershock, however, this time I decided to try a different strategy, "counter that with Ember" the attacks collided mid air and resulted in an explosion and both Pokemon were knocked backwards thanks to the force of the explosion. "This Pikachu's tough, maybe even stronger than Ash's." At that the Pikachu smirked confidentially at me challenging me to capture it. 

"Charmander, we need to get a hit in, while dodging that Thundershock." Charmander nodded his agreement and concentrated on Pikachu's movements, when suddenly, the Pikachu used Growl which surprised me as I wasn't suspecting that move. "Charmander quickly, use Ember" somehow, whether the Pikachu was getting tired, the Ember scored a direct hit against the Pikachu, knocking it down to the ground.

"Pokeball go" as I chucked a Pokeball expertly towards the Pikachu and when it landed the Pikachu entered the Pokeball and began shaking rapidly. Charmander remained prepared in case the Pikachu broke and continued to fight. However, the Pikachu remained inside and the Pokeball dinged signifying yet another successful capture.

"Well done Charmander, i'm proud of you and we gained a new friend." Charmander nodded and seemed happy as well. "Come on out, Pikachu and Spearow" when all my Pokemon appeared, Pikachu went over to the two and seemed to introduce itself. I immediately scanned my Pikachu learning what moves he had. Pikachu had the moves, Thundershock, Growl and Tail Whip. "Pikachu, I'd like you to meet, Charmander and Spearow" the two Pokemon said their hello's and Pikachu returned them happily as well. 

I was glad now that I had a way of dealing with water and electric type Pokemon as they would be a problem for my team in the future.