Chapter 5 - Nidoran and Brock's Battle

After successfully managing to capture Pikachu, I now knew I could leave Viridian Forest, though I did plenty of training in Viridian forest against the many Bug type Pokemon that lived in the forest. As Pikachu was my newest Pokemon, I knew he required the most training and so I trained him. Pikachu even learned some new moves as well, one of them being Quick Attack which would allow Pikachu to strike first and also Pikachu learned the move, Thunder Wave which was guaranteed to paralyse the opponent when it hits. 

It wasn't just Pikachu who had been training, Charmander and Spearow had been training vigorously so we would be prepared for our gym battle in Pewter City. Charmander managed to learn a strange new move, a steel type attack called Metal Claw which would come in handy against Rock type Pokemon. While with Spearow, he was struggling to perfect a new move called Fury Attack, a move that strikes the opponent repeatedly.

When I reached the exit of Viridian forest, I walked down Route 2, still keeping an eye out for any new Pokemon that might appear that would be helpful. When travelling, I saw a purple blur run out in front of me.

"What was that?" I looked around carefully and saw the one responsible, it was a Nidoran, "I think I'll catch him" but first I wanted to gather more data about to the Nidoran using my Pokedex. I soon learned that Nidoran keeps it large ears upright and if it senses danger, it will attack with a poisonous sting.

"The poison will be a serious threat towards my Pokemon, however if they keep their distance they would be fine and wouldn't get poisoned. The Nidoran turned towards me and stared me down, clawing at the ground in an attempt to intimidate me. "Come out, Pikachu" when Pikachu appeared he sparked his cheeks at the opponent who raised his horn threateningly. 

"Pikachu use Thundershock" the move fired powerfully towards Nidoran who was hit, however, he retaliated with Poison Sting. "Dodge those stingers with Quick Attack" I shouted and Pikachu began dodging the Poisonous stingers all the while approaching Nidoran. However Nidoran changed his tactics and used a Fighting type move, Double Kick. 

Pikachu's Quick Attack and Nidoran's Double Kick collided in mid air, however, Nidoran had already taken some major damage already. The two landed on the ground, however, Nidoran looked to be tiring out but still stood strong. "That's one determined Pokemon" I say admiring the Nidoran, "lets use Thunder Wave" 

Pikachu then unleashed a Thunder Wave, Nidoran tried to dodge however he was too exhausted to do so and was struck and more importantly he was completely paralysed. "Yes, that move was a success, now I'll try and catch him." Chucking the Pokeball Nidoran entered with little resistance and was soon captured.

Immediately, I decided to introduce everyone to their newest team member, "come out everyone" as I threw all my Pokeballs and released everyone. "I'd like you all to meet Nidoran, Nidoran this is Charmander, Pikachu and Spearow" the three spoke their hello's to Nidoran who said his own greeting in return.

"I hope that we can work together, to achieve many great things, Nidoran" Nidoran nodded his head and I returned everyone, eager to get to the Pokemon gym and challenge the gym leader. I reached a hill that overlooked the city of Pewter and saw that the city was clearly bustling with many people.

I managed to find a path which would lead me straight into the city and soon found the Pokemon centre, where I would have my Pokemon recovered so that they would be ready for my gym battle. While in the centre I began wondering whether I was properly prepared for this gym battle, as I had overheard many rumours that Brock, the Pewter City gym leader was quite powerful and used powerful Rock type Pokemon.

The only Pokemon on my team who had a clear advantage was Nidoran and Charmander who each had moves that were super effective against Rock type Pokemon. However a gym leader always has strategies for dealing with their weaknesses.