Chapter 22 - Route 18, 17 and 16

I had been in Fuchsia City for quite a long time and decided that it was now time for me to continue my journey where I would be going along Route 18 to explore some routes that were previously unexplored, on the basis that I could train my Dratini and Tauros and ensure that they were just as strong as my other team members. As I had already briefly mentioned, I do believe that Tauros will be a easier Pokemon to train in comparison to the smaller Dratini.

Tauros had the moves, Tackle, Stomp and Tail Whip, meanwhile Dratini had the moves, Leer, Wrap, Thunder Wave and Agility. Admittedly when comparing there moves I knew that Dratini would be struggling a lot. 

When I reached Route 18, I began training slowly with the wild Pokemon, Dratini did have a technique that I liked using and adapting to, firstly, Dratini would paralyse his opponent using Thunder Wave and then constrict the opponent using Wrap which alongside the paralysis would prevent the opponent from being able to do anything and they would eventually faint from exhaustion. Though this strategy required time and a resourceful trainer might somehow come up with a strategy for combating my technique.

Route 18 was filled with a myriad of Pokemon, I saw Grimer and Muk stalking through the grass as they went on about their daily lives. I did challenge many of the wild Pokemon specifically with Dratini and the Wrap, Thunder Wave combination was a success however, the time for a knockout was slow and could still cause Dratini damage against as I mentioned a resourceful trainer.

"Dratini come on out" Dratini appeared and immediately focused on his opponent, a much larger Muk, who stared down the smaller Dratini. "Dratini Thunder Wave" the move made contact and sparks surrounded Muk preventing it from moving around, "now use Wrap to further restrict Muk's movements" once more Dratini wrapped Muk up and constricted every so often, however Muk seemed unaffected in the long run though, Muk did faint.

Dratini was getting stronger, however, the process required an unimaginable amount of patience, however, in Tauros' case he destroyed his opponents with Stomp, he just had incredible physical power which he used to full affect. I knew he was ready for a trainer battle, however I still wasn't sure about Dratini.

While battling with the two Pokemon, I learned a lot about their personalities and characteristics and how similar they were to my other Pokemon. Tauros, loved battling, that's what made him and Machamp as well as Nidoking get a long so well. Dratini was a quiet Pokemon who seeemd reserved and shy in his current stage that is, however he always wrapped around me giving me a hug in his own way, he also got along well with Raichu and Wiglytuff who were kind and small compared to some of my other team members.

Inevitably I was challenged by a trainer who used only Poison Type Pokemon which was a slight problem, however, they were only Koffing and Weezing. When Tauros battled he annihilated them with precision and power which to be honest amazed me as he showed he was a very capable Pokemon. However, Dratini still struggled, but the battles were taking a shorter amount of time, Koffing went down in around two minutes, when usually it can take around five minutes. 

I could tell that slowly but surely Dratini was growing stronger, while he may not be at the level of Tauros and definitely not Charizard he was getting stronger in his own right. I was also challenged by a bird keeper, who trained a Farfetch'd which was a sight to behold as they are quite rare nowadays. 

"Dratini go" as Dratini appeared he spotted the flightless bird and figured that we would just use the same old battle strategy that we always use and to that I say we would. "Dratini use Thunder Wave" the Thunder Wave zoomed towards Farfetch'd who was soon paralysed and unable to move, further more, I commanded Dratini to use Wrap as a way of restricting the opponent from moving around. However, while wrapping the opponent, by Dratini began glowing, it was a sight to behold as the small snake like dragon began growing in size.

When the glow faded Dratini was no more and the new Pokemon which appeared was a Dragonair, this Pokemon looked extremely elegant and graceful as well as beautiful. Immediately, Dragonair slithered on over to me and began wrapping me in his hug once again, however, this time, the wrap was far more powerful and I had to attempt to wait out the hug before I inevitably pass out from exhaustion just like our previous opponents.

The Pokedex informed that Dragonair, apparently is covered in a strange aura which gives Dragonair such a mystical look. When looking over at the graceful Pokemon I understood why the Pokemon was given such a title in the Pokedex. It wasn't just appearances that had changed, Dragonair had learned the move Slam which would be exceptionally beneficial in battles in the nearby future which was great news. 

Occasionally my other team members including those at Professor Oak's laboratory were battling with me however, they were already exceptionally high level and Tauros and Dragonair needed some time to catch up which they were fast doing. 

Inevitably we cleared out the route defeating any and all Pokemon trainers that stood in our way, from their defeats, Tauros and Dragonair were growing much stronger and showing me that they would be excellent additions to my team that would hopefully allow me to become the champion of the Kanto Region. 

The next route was an intriguing one, it was called cycling road where people needed to use their bicycles to travel across. The route was known as Route 17, where cycles were needed. Getting on my own bike, I cycled along and admired the scenery, many flying Pokemon were resting on the posts that supported the bridge, it seemed like a great place for a Flying Type Pokemon to have a rest.

However, I soon realised that the bridge seemed to be home to some punk guys who looked and acted like they owned everything and were the superiors to everyone else and they immediately began challenging me one by one to show me that they were in charge and that this was their bridge and their territory. Needless to say the trainers were defeated without much effort at all as their Pokemon were concentrated around Poison Types and the occasional Fighting Type as well.

While I was here, many of my Pokemon had learned some new moves which would be beneficial for them in the long run, Parasect recently learned Slash, just like Charmeleon had when he still was a Charmeleon. Dugtrio similarly also learned Slash which was fast becoming a very common move for my team to learn. Gengar even learned Dream Eater and excellent move when combined with Hypnosis. Kingler even finished up this list of new moves by learning Crab Hammer a wonderful physical Water Type attack which would come in handy. 

Continually heading north, I eventually managed to clear out the bikers that were testing me with their weak Pokemon. I finally reached Route 16 the final route which led towards a previously explored city of Celadon. The route was simple and small beautiful and peaceful as well which made it a nice place to just simply relax and admire the scenery as well. 

The battles as well were not that plentiful and I knew that I could just take my time here and as I mentioned relax somewhat. "Come out everyone" all my Pokemon appeared and they wondered why they had been let out when there was no fighting. "Take a break, you've all been fighting so much you deserve a break." The Pokemon cheered and began separating, some playing games and some were chatting with one another. Dragonair didn't really like leaving me alone and so stayed with me at all times, no matter where I might of wondered off.

Machamp, Nidoking and Tauros were competing by showing off their strength, but still they weren't fighting just relaxing and enjoying time off from battling. Wigglytuff and Raichu however remained nearby me as they enjoyed playing around with each other. I may not know what Dugtrio, Parasect, Gengar, Alakazam, Fearow and Kingler are up to, but I know that their probably also enjoying some relaxation time that is also well deserved for them as well.

Around an hour passed before my Pokemon declared that the break was over and they wanted to get back to training. Admittedly this was a complete shock as i wasn't expecting them to want to rush back into battle again, but they were extremely persistent. 

It took quite a long time however we eventually returned to Fuchsia City where I would be able to continue my journey.