Chapter 27 - Viridian Gym

Heading north from Pallet Town sure reminded me of many different memories, my first ever challenges with my starter Pokemon Charmander and our first ever capture, Spearow. It may of happened a long time ago, but those memories resurfaced as I travelled across the familiar plains towards Viridian City.

When I eventually arrived at Viridian City, I headed straight towards the Pokemon gym, where I was planning on earning my final gym badge, the Earth Badge. The name of the badge did make me believe that the gym leader might specialise in either Ground or Rock Pokemon, however, this would be the toughest gym I've ever faced so far, meaning I need to ensure that I am properly prepared for this battle.

I knew that my team were powerful and could handle many opponents, even the previous gym leader, however, as mentioned a while back, this gym leader is bound to be much stronger than previous ones, meaning, I can expect a big challenge. 

The gym was rather extravagant from the outside and had two guards almost that stood outside of the doors. I was admittedly curious about their attire and wondered why they even needed to wear armour like that. I will admit that the gym did look simple as well, it almost looked as if this gym was not wanting to stand out in amongst the city.

Upon reaching the doors of the gym, the two male guards ordered me to tell them why I was here. "I'm here for a gym battle to earn the Earth Badge." The two men then slammed their weapons down on the ground and the gym doors opened automatically making me believe this must be quite an advanced gym. 

Following the designated path, I soon arrived at a battlefield and stood in my designated battle area, awaiting the gym leader who I presumed was nearby. Upon looking up I saw someone who looked to be a male, with a Persian, sitting in the shadows watching my movements as he stroked his Persian.

"I am the Viridian Gym leader, who might you be?" The man asked me curiosity evident in his voice as he continued stroking his Persian. "My name is Sam West and I come from Pallet Town." With that simple introduction the man seemed intrigued and accepted my battle challenge which made me slightly nervous as he gave of an intense aura of confidence and power. 

The two soldiers that were guarding the Viridian Gym earlier, were referring the battle and announced the rules to me. "You will both use three Pokemon, no time limit, let the battle begin." At that, we were now allowed to battle and I knew what Pokemon I would need to use. Grabbing my first Pokeball I announced my choice, "Kingler come out" Kingler appeared and the man announced his choice, "I choose Golem" a Golem appeared which was the final evolved form of Geodude.

Grabbing my Pokedex I quickly scanned the Golem to understand more about the Pokemon and exploit any weaknesses it might have in battle. I learned that Golem's rock like body is extremely tough and unfazed by many attacks. "Kingler begin with Crabhammer go" the man immediately made his move, "use Tackle attack." The two Pokemon rushed towards each other before, Kingler, struck the Golem with a super effective Water Type attack. 

The Golem rolled backwards smashing into the wall, while I wondered whether it was able to continue battling. The two guards however, declared that Golem was unable to battle and that Kingler was the winner. The man returned his Pokemon to it's Pokeball and summoned a second. "Not bad, now try this Pokemon for size, go Kingler" the man summoned forth his own Kingler.

"Return Kingler" Kingler came back to his Pokeball and I grabbed my second Pokeball, glad that I had done some switching around, "go Raichu" my electric mouse Pokemon appeared and was ready for battle. "Kingler Crabhammer" the man commanded his Kingler and it charged right towards Raichu. "Dodge and then use Thunderbolt" Raichu managed to dodge the Kingler's strikes and then unleashed a Thunderbolt which defeated the Kingler as well. 

The referees announced that Kingler was unable to battle and therefore Raichu was the winner. The man returned his second Pokemon and seemed really engaged in the battle, he stood up and walked towards the banister and I could now see his facial features, he looked to be middle aged and wore a smirk on his face. "My final Pokemon is much stronger than my others, you can use as many Pokemon as you want if your afraid of losing." The man said and then he clicked his fingers and a door opened slowly.

When the door fully opened, a strange Pokemon was standing their covered in metal armour almost, with wires everywhere. 'Isn't it uncomfortable inside all that armour' I began wondering as I watched it, the Pokemon seemed to observe me before, it's eyes glowed blue and my Raichu was sent flying away with some sort of Psychic power. I scanned the Pokemon with my Pokedex however, the Pokemon was unknown and therefore a new species probably.

"Raichu are you okay?" Raichu stood up and announced that he was and we faced the Pokemon, once more, "Raichu use Thunderbolt" Raichu unleashed a powerful Thunderbolt however, the Pokemon deflected it without any trouble at all. "Is this all you have to offer, you'll never be able to defeat my creation with puny attacks such as those." The man spoke to be with confidence in his voice, however, his statement caused something in the Pokemon and it turned towards the man before it spoke telepathically.

"I do not wish to fight this one, give him the Earth Badge as he is victorious." I stared shocked with Raichu, however the man seemed furious while I just wondered what the Pokemon was until a voice answered me in my mind. "My name is Mewtwo, I hope to meet you again young trainer" he sounded almost excited yet angry, though I wondered who he was angry at. The man gave me an Earth Badge that he simply chucked down and then left, I could tell he was furious and was admittedly concerned for this Pokemon's well being. 

Just as I was about to walk away the Pokemon used it's psychic powers on me and used his power to teleport me outside of the Viridian Gym, with one last message. "Get stronger, I wish to face you in a battle, as you have far surpassed any other trainers I have fought against"  I however protested, "I lost, Raichu and none of my other Pokemon could even hit you." However, Mewtwo did not answer and I assumed he had disappeared to wherever. 

I stared at the Earth Badge and wondered whether I truly earned this badge or not, after all, Mewtwo declared that I was victorious even though he completely defeated my Raichu and would of defeated any of my Pokemon. However, I knew what needed to be done, inform mum and Professor Oak that I had gathered the necessary gym badges and was now eligible to compete in the Pokemon league.

Heading to the Pokemon centre, I had my Pokemon completely fully restored and called home firstly, mum answered and I quickly informed her happily that I had won all eight gym badges and she smiled pride shining in her eyes clearly. I didn't tell her of the mysterious powerhouse Pokemon Mewtwo, or the words the Pokemon spoke to me. I would also intend on keeping that secret from other trainers and gym leaders, even the Professor.

My mum said, that Professor Oak had some news for me about the Pokemon league that he was also planning on telling Ash and Gary, who when they received their gym badges they were heading there as well. So my next stop would be heading back to Pallet Town for preparations for the Pokemon league.