Chapter 30

"Yes, but that doesn't matter." I narrow my eyes at him, trying to understand what he is try to say.

"How does that not matter, Idiot." He rolls his eyes, "Could be something to do with you being from outsi-" My eyes widen and I quickly put both of my palms over his mouth.

"I'm sure Hange is listening outside the door." I whisper. He holds a cold look on his face and I sigh dropping my arms.

"I just want to quickly clear something up." He slightly adjusts his cravat. "That night was a mistake."

"What night?" I ask, confused. What is he even talking about? He gets a pen and rights something on a piece of paper. Then slides it over to me.

"Hange might be outside the door." He says loud and clear. I resist the urge to laugh and open the piece of paper.

The night I kissed you.

He's not serious. I thought he was also genuinely angry when I declined him. I don't let my expression falter, instead I put on a poker face.

"I could say the same." I reply. He nods and maintains eye-contact.

"It was an in the moment thing that happened. I'm sure it was the same before we left that Cabin as well." He answers, referring to when we made up and I kissed him.

"Of course Captain. I better get going." I quickly stand up and salute, before making my way out of his room. As soon as I open the door, I see the back of Hange, retracting around a corner.

Thank the Walls we didn't say anything weird.

I walked back into the living area and took a brief glance at Erwin. He noticed and gestured for me to go to him. I salute and take a seat across from him.

"Its been a while Y/N." He begins. Levi appears from a corridor and takes a seat not too far away.

"It has Sir." I reply. A few people are outside but I notice the majority are in here, having a conversation. "What is the current situation Sir?" I ask.

"Call me Erwin." He says and I nod. I do sincerely hate calling him Sir and Commander. "Historia was crowned Queen while you were absent and currently is using this area as an orphanage for children from the Underground. Eren developed his Titan Hardening Ability and can now use it. Hange is running Experiments every once in a while. But currently, we are all having a week off. In the next 2 months, I trust we will leave here and head for Wall Maria."

"That's nice Erwin." I bluntly say. Erwin looks at me a bursts out laughing.

"Sorry, excuse me." He clears his throat. "I've been thinking for a while and I noticed how dedicated you have been to us." I salute and he continues.

"You are also a skilled soldier, and teacher. You think through situations and get through them as well. That's why I insist you get promo-" Levi nearly chokes on his tea and we all secretly glance at him. Okay...

"I insist you get promoted, to a Squad Captain." Erwin continues like nothing happened. I try not let my shock appear but I'm not sure how well I'm doing.

I salute before answering, "Erwin this is a great position you have given me, but I am afraid I have to decline."

Like seriously? Nope, I'm not up for that.

Mikasa drops her teaspoon and glares daggers at me. "Y/N, you should accept this offer." She says.

"I was afraid you would say that. And I have concluded, as soon as we start taking new Cadets, You will be taking the weakest of the few in to train them on your squad. Only for a period of 3 months, to see if you will be comfortable. I believe it will decrease the number of deaths if the weakest receive one to one training. You have no say in this. I have finished." Erwin smirks.

You know, by the Walls, I swear, I think I might superglue his other arm back in place and cut off his healthy arm.

"You have any plans for your off week Y/N?" Jean says, breaking the tension between the Commander and I.

"Yes." I bluntly say, still glaring at the currently chuckling Commander.

"Heyyyy!" Hange exclaims running in. "I made a serious scientific discovery that might help us eradicate the Titans!" She smirks. Erwin sits up and clears his throat.

"Elaborate." He practically orders.

"But wait, first I would like to mentions something. We all know Levi is very short for his age and some of us make fun of him for it." She begins. I glance at Levi and catch him glaring at her. "But have we taken into account Y/N height?! She is shorter than Levi! Let me just sum this up. If Levi is 'Shorty' does that make Y/N 'Shortcake' ?" She finishes and I gape at her. No one really makes fun of my height, but she just had to bring it up.

Everyone, except Levi and I, burst out laughing.

"Y/N you are very short. Historia is taller than you." Mikasa smirks.

"Historia is just about the same size as me!" I take my turn to glare at her.

"But anyway! My scientific discovery! So we have all taken into account how short Y/N and Levi are... And we all know how strong they are, like Beast Titan strong. But that aside, my theory is that the only way to eradicate the Titans is to develop a Scout Regiment that only consists of short people! Because they are the strongest!" Hange smiles widely.

Hange is full off irrelevant surprises. This one included.

"If that does come to past, I will gladly join since you will be too tall to be apart of it." Levi retorts.

"I'm sure it can be a one man show. I'll leave you too it Captain." I smile. Okay I know we aren't on bad terms but how can he actually consider kissing me a mistake? That's just rude. "Mikasa?" I glance at her and stand up. She nods and gets up as well.

We only start talking when we leave them.

"So where can I stay?" I ask her. She chuckles, clearly thinking about earlier events.

"The usual. We can share a room like the old days." She smiles and opens a door for me. I look in and see a bunk bed. I smile at her and lay on the bottom bunk, like usual.

"I'm not too tired, so I'm gonna go check on Eren. See you in the morning"

I smile and answer, "Yeah, say 'Hi' to him for me."

"Yup." She closes the door and leaves me to my listen to my own breathing.

***