Chapter 44

Levi walks towards the HQ exit and I quickly follow beside him.

"So what's the problem?" I ask, glancing at him. We walk towards the stables.

"There isn't a problem. I was just surprised at how you enjoyed your life so well up here." He replies, in a monotone voice. I freeze when opening the gate.

"What? Explain." I glance at his stone face and continue to open the gate.

"I didn't know you were rich."

"I'm not rich."

"You were 8 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 2 kitchens, 2 living rooms a stables and a shed, type rich." He states.

I stop and chuckle.

"Levi, I wasn't rich, I'm sure we inherited the house from a grandparent or something. Houses were cheap back then. Don't forget we were farmers and lived in the middle of nowhere. Remember I didn't have any real friends and I was home schooled." I place myself on the saddle and stead myself, ridding to where Levi was, already ready.

"Everywhere was filthy when I was in the underground. I lived in the smallest shack, probably the size of your shed. It's just weird hearing about your lavish lifestyle." He mutters.

"I know, life is different for everyone. After all the titans are eliminated, I promise to make sure you live in a big house" I smile and stick my thumb up.

His stone face breaks into a small smile, but soon he starts laughing.

***

"I haven't asked yet, but are you comfortable meeting your father again?" Levi asks as we tie our horses to a pole near my fathers house.

I shudder at the thought but quickly shake it away. "It can't be too bad, right?" I reply and he nods.

"I'm with you." He mumbles. I glance at him and smile, "Thanks."

"You smile a lot now." He remarks.

"What?" I ask.

"You used to never smile, constantly holding a polker face, but now you seem lively."

"I have no clue what happened, let's go in." I knock on the door and it quickly opens up, showing someone, sporting a bored facial expression, I've never seen before. I'm about to say something, but the mans eyes widen and he saluted, letting us in without a word.

"Thanks" I mutter. Remembering my way around, I make my way to the living room, hoping my father is there, and HOPEFULLY the key.

I open the door and there I see my father, sitting down, his eyes closed, but he was grinning. I noticed the room smelled like lavander.

I clear my throat, "Survey Corps request for your help." His eyes shoot open and reach mine. The same e/c staring into mine.

"Y/N? What are you doing here?? I didn't prepare for you. Oh no..." he sits up straight and looks around frantically.

"The Survey Corps require your assistance." Levi repeats.

"How so?" He asks fixing his shirt and flattening it out.

"We need the key to our house." I request.

He immediately stops and his eyes dart to mine. "For what?"

"To use the house as a place for the Survey Corps to rest after searching the basement."

"I see, follow me." He stands up and leaves the leaving room, going up the stairs. We follow behind him and reach what I guess is his bedroom. Levi and I stop at the door and wait for him. My father opens a drawer and brings out a shiny black box. He walks back downstairs and we follow him.

"This is it." He hands it to me. I open the box and see it's lined with red velvet, inside lies 2 keys beside each other.

"I recently had the house checked when I heard you guys planned to retake Wall Maria. He says the house is in good condition-"

"You did what?!" I exclaim. I glance at Levi and notice his eyebrow twitching.

"I know it sounds bad, but I wanted to know if the house would still be good for us to live in. The house is in good condition, just requires minor cleaning."

"Thank you, but who was the soldier that always came by the house? The One that also had a key?" I ask.

"The soldier? That was Keith Shadis." He casually answers and sits down.

"Seriously? Mister Former-Commander of the Military Police." I mutter the last part.

"You found out? Your Mother preferred when we didn't talk about it, so please don't."

"We will be leaving, the Survey Corps offers their gratitude." I salute and Levi and I leave the house.

"That was painfully boring." I mutter.

"And this will be a painfully long journey. I am not interested in finding Shadis, so let's do it quickly." Levi retorts.

"You don't have to follow, you know." I glare at him. We reach our horses and I start to untie H/N.

"Wait what! You can bitch about it but I can't" He places his hand over his heart and clicks his tongue. I roll my eyes and he chuckles. I haul myself onto my horse and turn to Levi, just to see him already on his horse.

"How the Walls do you get on your horse so fast! You're shorter than me!" I complain.

"If you genuinely think I'm shorter than you, you might need to get your eyesight check Y/N. I've been doing this long enough, so it isn't much of a bother." He glares at me and starts moving away.

"Old Fart." I mutter. Levi suddenly stops, and turns his head, a glare stretched across his face.

Oh shite.

I smile and slowly move away, heading in the correct direction.

"Not so fast, Y/N." He states. Suddenly I stop, and burst out laughing.

"What the Walls is wrong with you? Jean recently said women get irritable when it's their time of the month. Is it yours?" He causally asks, catching up to me.

"Levi! You can't ask questions like that!" My face heats up and I lower my head so he doesn't notice.

"Why?"

***
I take a step forward and knock on Shadis' door. I hear shuffling inside, then the door opens.

I salute, them speak, "The Survey Corps request of your assistance"

"Continue." He goes back into his office and sits at his desk.

"The Survey Corps request of any keys you have to my house." I reply.

"Ah, Yes. Come in."