Chapter 40

"After all, keeping the aristocrats we've taxed so heavily under control, and securing the Survey Corps' special funding. All that is predicated on retaking that lost territory. If we fail, we'll go bankrupt." The guy smirks and looks at me, "Miss Squad Captain Y/N, do you have any advise?"

I keep my poker face on and answer, "No, I don't. You are absolutely right. Failing is not an option."

"We have bled both inside and outside the Walls, all in order to retake Wall Maria. As for the Survey Corps, we intend to devote out full strength to repay our past fellow soldiers for giving their lives." Erwin answers, adamantly.

"Indeed it is past time you were rewarded for your efforts. I pray that treasure you seek sleeps in that cellar in Shiganshina." Zackly smiles.

***

After the meeting is over, Erwin, Hange, Levi, Zackly and I, sit in a different room, talking. The door opens and in walks Pixis, in all his glory.

"So?" Pixis started when he entered, "Does it look like you'll be able to discover what is in that bottle?" He asked, referring to the Titan serum.

"Well about that. This is all we can find out with the technology we currently possess. As we heard from Eren and Historia, it seems to contain ingredients based on human spinal fluid. There seems to be more as well, but as soon as this liquid touches air, it evaporates, making analysis difficult. This stuff is far beyond our capabilities after all." Hange answers.

"Just how did the Reiss family create it then..?" I mutter to myself. From my peripheral vision, I catch Levi glance at me.

"So rather than stumble around in the dark, our only option is to use it for its intended purpose." Pyxis declares.

"Whom would we entrust it to? You Erwin?" Zackly asks.

"No, I'm a wounded soldier." He replies.

"This box should be entrusted to our most talented soldier with the highest chance of survival. So why do you hold onto it Y/N?" Zackly stares me in the eye. The room goes silent but suddenly I start chuckling.

Zackly is so funny.

"This is no time for jokes Sir." I calm myself. He chuckles as well.

"I agree. Will you take it Y/N?" Erwin joins in.

"What type of offer is this..? Levi is right there" I gesture towards Levi. He looks blankly at me before speaking.

"I believe my name is Levi, not Y/N"

"Y/N, I sincerely trust you with this serum. While Levi is very strong, I will say, you are still younger, and more likely to survive. Will you take it Y/N?" Levi glares at Erwin's words. I glance up at Erwin and maintain eye-contact.

"I believe that is more of an order. Why would you bother asking?" I subtly retort.

"We can't predict how this will be used in the field. In other words, you'll be entrusted with this partly because of your ability to make an on-the-ground decision. You'll be the one to decide who to use it on depending on the situation. Can I trust you with that?" He sternly looks at me.

Keeping a poker face, I nod and answer, "All right, I understand." I picked up the black shiny box and stared at it.

***

I find myself sitting at a table with Hange, Mikasa, Sasha, Eren, Armin, Levi and Instructor Shadis. Eren claimed that he needed to talk to Shadis, so we gathered to meet him, unfortunately. Sasha stood at a far corner, far from Shadis. I don't blame her, I would join if I could, but my new position doesn't really allow that.

"You're not going to sit Braus?" Shadis asked.

"No! I'm alright here!" She replied.

"Yes. I suppose the reason I used to summon you here in the past was to rake over the coals." He comments.

"Yes, yes. You weren't a polite person. That was established early on." I mutter. Shadis looks down on me but I maintain eye-contact.

"I was about to say how you guys have changed after only a few months but you haven't changed at all." He looks away and a small triumphant smile plays on my lips. "I barely recognise a few of you."

"I guess the last time I say you was 5 years ago." Levi adds, "You changed a lot."

"I understand. It was the first time a new Commander had been put in place while the old one was still alive. I had replaced myself with someone talented. May have been the only smart thing I did." Shadis replied, a blank look on his face.

"Commande- I mean Instructor Shadis, have you figured out why we are here to speak to you just as we may have figured out how to retake Wall Maria?" Hange asks. Shadis' eyes roam around, glancing between Eren and Mikasa. He continues but suddenly his eyes divert to mine. They settle there for a while, and the room is filled with silence.

"What?" I suddenly ask.

"To do with retaking Wall Maria, I am sure we are here to talk about Eren's Parents. But that doesn't mean I have forgotten yours." He states, then returns his gaze to Eren.

"You knew my parents?" I ask, slightly taken aback.

"I'm sure I knew everyone. But Eren, you truly remind me of your mother. But the fangs lurking beneath those eyes are definitely your Father's." He comments.

How can Shadis possibly know my parents? I remember my childhood perfectly. We lived on a farm far away from any city. The only time I saw people was when some people came to buy livestock or vegetation from us, when we went into town, or when I went to see Ed. And we hardly went into town. We mostly grew and matured everything on our farm. I don't remember every meeting Shadis. The thought made my eyes narrow at him in wonder.

"Tell me please! Tell me everything you know!" Eren suddenly stood up from his seat and started his usual yelling.

What is with people knowing my family? First Kenny and now Shadis?

Shadis explained how he first met Grisha outside the Walls, whish was enough to shock us all. Apparently, they we returning from an expedition. The Survey Coprs, found Grisha outside the Shiganshina Gate, in Wall Maria. Grisha was very confused and didn't even know who the Survey Corps were. Grisha was put in a cell, since it is illegal to enter Titan territory without permission. Shadis believed he was drunk and somehow ended up outside the Walls. But since Grisha didn't hurt anyone, Shadis let him out, and helped him find his way home.

***

So guys I'm sorry about late updates. I've literally got 5 drafts written in advance but school has started and I'm really distracted. I wanted to keep this book ahead of the anime but the anime has finally caught up :(

Thanks for all the reads and I hope you have a good day :)