Chapter 68

When we got back from Paradis, Levi squad and my own joined together and we immediately brought Zeke to the Forest of Giant Ass Trees, as Levi calls it. We settled down and later spoke with Zeke, although I zoned out quite a bit.

"Not 'That Village' " Levi deadpans, "Its name was Ragako." I suddenly remember where I actually am when I hear the village name and grimace. "The Eldian Village that you slaughtered. Remember it. You Bearded Bastard."

"No manners." I glare at Zeke.

"Yes, I wish I didn't have to do it, either. But I had to." He replies, "If Marley learned that my true allegiance was to the restoration of Eldia, I doubt I ever would have been able to bring back hope to this Island. I said all this when I first landed here, did I not? Why do you keep asking about it again and again?"

I suddenly sigh, "I don't know about Levi, but I think you don't give a care in the Walls about what happened to those people."

"I agree," Levi says, "I'm not sure if you really want to save Eldia or not... But I'm certain you don't care about the lives of those people."

"If you didn't have Y/N I bet you wouldn't be popular with ladies." Zeke suddenly says.

How did he know we are together?

"You shouldn't go around assuming you understand how other people feel." Zeke continues.

"But I do." Levi's expression darkens, "And I'm glad you understand Y/N and I are together."

"Is that so?" Zeke glances over at me, "Well, when am I going to meet Eren and start this experiment?"

"That's not my call, " I shrug my shoulders, "We are waiting for orders from HQ."

"Let them know they'd be mistaken to think they have all the time in the world." Zeke mutters.

"I guess I agree with you there." I stand up and cross my arms before walking away to check the other soldiers.

***

Yelena came by and delivered us several extra bottles of wine. I really don't like her, she has an obsessive look on her face whenever Eren comes up in conversation and its worse than Hange.

I take a seat beside Levi, who was watching Zeke, on the branch of the tree. "I didn't know you were serious when you said you were going to stop drinking alcohol." I chuckle.

Levi shrugs, "I didn't like drinking when you weren't."

"That's cute." I pat his head and he glares at me.

Suddenly his glare softens and he kisses my cheek, "You're cute."

I cringe, "That's embarrassing Levi."

"Me kissing you?" He kisses my cheek again and my ears heat up.

"No," I break out a smile, "What you said about me being cute."

"But you are." He replies genuinely, "Sometimes..." He then chuckles and I join in.

"Stop flirting!" Zeke teases us. I look down and glare at Blondie Beard.

"Watch your mouth," Levi starts, "Unless you want me to shove my sword down it."

Zeke really finds pleasure in teasing us these days for some reason. Maybe we're more interesting than the couple in his book? I chuckle out loud at the thought and Levi looks at me warily.

***

A few days later we receive word from HQ. I was expecting it to be about Zeke and Eren meeting up together.

The soldiers salute us, and we salute them back before moving higher into the trees for privacy.

"We have terrible news?" The first soldier says.

"Hm? Eren died?" I ask.

"No," The soldier blushes which makes me raise an eyebrow, "Zackly was killed.

I take a double take and glance between both of the soldiers, "Excuse me. Zackly was killed?" Levi manages to not show his shock but instead glares.

"Yes, The Yeagerists have effectively taken control of everything inside the Walls." The soldier explains and I click my tongue at the sound of the 'Holy' Yeagerists. "We believe all the chaos is being caused by Eren and Yelena, all because they want to see Zeke.

"So what will happen now?" I ask and massage my temples.

"The Yeagerists should soon be brought to Zeke. Its what they have been demanding all this time." The soldier answers.

"What about Pixis?" Levi asks, "He'll just roll over and make way for the Yeagerists?"

"As you have point out, Captain Levi, the Commander remains stead-fast. He's now at work on a plan to create an opportunity while Eren is being led here by the Yeagerists." He explains. "It is unfortunate that this is the only way to defend Eldia against the rule of the Yeagerists and Zeke." He continues.

"So that's what has been happening." I mumble.

"Yes." The soldier answers and nods his head.

The world we live in is really turning into something ugly.

"So," Levi starts, "The only thing we can do is have someone eat Eren, right?"

"By our hand?" I ask.

"Yes, of course." Levi answers.

"I guess." I mumble, "You know what's pissing me off?" Levi raises an eyebrow, "We've saved Eren's life again and again. And each time so many of our comrades, our friends, have died. I honestly did it because I believed he was the hope for humanity's survival."

"That's what I was just thinking." Levi's expression darkens.

I chuckle, "This is what our belief has gotten us. To me, its almost like one big, awful joke someone is playing on me. That hope I so desperately had my eyes on, I barely remember it now. " Levi places his hand on his forehead, "The struggles we have gone through, the lives that have been lost, have gotten us to such a stupid place now." I sigh, "The Walls need to give me a break I so desperately need. They're being ridiculous right now."

"Don't enter that world of ridiculousness." Levi finally says, "There is another piece of rubbish shit we can feed to someone we turn into a Titan."

"What?" I ask.

"That one over there." Levi points to the person that has caused us so much problems, our resident Blondie Beard, Zeke.