Chapter 49

"Em, Excuse me?" I stare at Levi.

"Take a seat." He replies.

"What is it, Levi?" Erwin asks.

"This may sound impatient. But what are we going to do after retaking Wall Maria? I assume that coming up with a defense plan will be first but after that?" Levi asks. I take a seat and look up at Erwin, waiting for him to answer. What Levi is asking also interests me.

What are we doing after?

"Eliminating threats. There seems to be someone out on the other side of the walls who's determined to see us eaten by the Titans. And out best shot at finding out who seems to be in that basement. So, as I said before. Lets think about that after we get to the basement." Erwin answers.

"You realise I'm asking you because I don't know whether you'll live that long, right?" Levi continues. Awww, he's so thoughtful. "You can't move like you used to be able to. As you are now, you are Titan food. Let Hange lead the troops on the ground. I'm not carrying any extra baggage. You stay here and wait for the good news. I'll tell them I complained until you give in, in fact, that's what I plan to do. All right?" He finishes.

"No." Erwin replies and Levi sighs, a frown gracing his face. "I don't care, use me as bait. The chain of Command will remain. If I can't lead, Hange will. If Hange can't, the next will. I admit this operation will be difficult, but it will also be the most important in Human History, I've put everything I have into it. This is my plan. Without me, its less likely to succeed." Erwin concludes.

Why am I here again?

"You are right. The operation might fail and if you bite the dust while we're at it, we're done for. You just need to sit here and use your head. That's enough. That'll do more than anything else and it will trip up the titans and help humanity." Levi argues back.

"No, that's not true. I can do the most good by staking everything on this operation and-" Levi cuts off Erwin.

"Hold on, hold on, hold on. Stop. Stop, if you give me one more noble-sounding excuse I'll break your legs" Levi states. Erwin and I start chuckling. "I'll make them easy to put back together later, but break them enough to make sure you stay behind. Of course, it'll hurt to go to the bathroom for a while..."

"That just wouldn't do. Of course, you are right. Its better a wounded soldier stay off the front line. But you see... I have to be there. At the moment we learn the truth about this world." Erwin states.

"It's that important to you? More than your legs?" Levi asks and Erwin nods. "More than Humanities Victory?"

"Yes." Erwin answers and shocks me.

More than humanities victory?!?!?!

"Fine, Erwin. I'll trust your judgement. Y/N, lets go.

"Okay, bye Eyebrows." I wave and follow Levi.

"Do people actually still call me that?" Erwin's eyebrows twitch.

"It's going on your gravestone." I reply and Erwin chuckles. Levi and I leave the meeting room and walk down the corridor.

"So why did you want me to stay?" I glance up at Levi who is sporting his typical stoney look.

"Just so you would know what really happened if he agreed." He replies.

***

I had just finish sorting out the squad. Most of them went into Marlene's squad. As a thank you gift, they gave me an ointment for the scar on my arm.

That's the THIRD bottle of ointment I have received.

First Mikasa, Then Hange, Now the squad.

I internally facepalm and enter the Mess Hall. I am immediately hit by the nice smell of the meat. We really are getting spoilt tonight. I take a seat at the table with the Levi Squad and they all become silent.