I

"Elizabeth, darling would you please take care of Lucas as I finish doing the laundry?", I saw mother coming out of the back door holding my little brother Lucas, moving swiftly towards my petite figure. "Of course mother, you don't need to ask" I smiled, taking Lucas away from her as I stood up from the wooden box I was currently writing a letter on. I saw mother leave inside the house, disappearing in such a small, poor, delicate house of ours. My family and I were never loved by the people of the village, and as my father saw that things might be hard on Lucas he rented this house a bit far away from the village, near the woods.

I am always supportive to my fathers decisions, because no man like him cares so much for our little outcast family. Yes we are financially insolvent but we do manage, or as I may say I do manage to live the life of any ordinary girl, for I admire the one and only Oliver quill. I will usually sneak into the woods and become the unseen shadow of his. The unseen shadow of a twilight.

I heard a yawn. I turned my face to Lucas who seemed thoroughly exhausted and weary. "Hey little angel, are you feeling alright? Do you want me to put you to bed?" I pinched his little round nose. He nodded in agreement following a tight grasp on my dress. I slowly moved my toes towards the house, entering our shared room.

I laid Lucas down slowly on his bed and covered him with his favorite knitted blanket that my dear grandmother made for him before she left to the greater divine. I ruffled his soft hair softly pushing it away from his bright, inspiring eyes. "You're going to be a great son and brother, Lucas", I leaned in and kissed his small forehead, "but for now, just stay the little you and do not worry".

I mildly close the door as I take a last look on a peacefully sleeping Lucas. I turned around and my eyes land on the clock. 5 pm. 5PM? "Mother. Father! I'll get going, alright? See you at 6! I love you all" I hurriedly say as I swiftly move from one place and another grabbing my shoes, notebook and the letter I wrote earlier. I spurt towards the woods, racing along with time. I smiled gleamingly, feeling the breeze of air flowing through my hair and the soft leaves flow through my toes as if it has been liquified and I'm running on water. And so as I saw him, I freeze. My lungs forget to take oxygen in and gravity failed to keep my heart down. Everything seemed like a painting, a surreal painting, a painting of the person I ever admired from behind the walls of fear.

But today I will show myself from behind those walls.

I hid behind a ginormous strong tree, oh please give me some of your strength. I gulped slowly and held the letter of confession in my shaky hands. "Control yourself Elizabeth, have courage and be kind" I whispered to myself, reassuring myself that everything is going to be fine as I show myself to a surreal prince. I moved slowly towards him, seeing his back facing me and his milky skinned horse looking towards me. The horse started whining as he noticed me and as soon as I got close to them he reared, I never saw a horse rear before in real life. I felt frightened at the sight that I didn't recognize Oliver was asking me a question.

I snapped out of my fear as I heard him ask me the question again, "Who are you? And what are you doing here?". He seemed mad or more like frantic, he calmed down his horse as I take a few steps back. I bow lightly to Oliver as I introduce myself, "I'm Elizabeth Connor. A former citizen living nearby the woods." I point from the direction I came from. "What do you want?" He obliged me to answer. I moved three steps forward, with every step my organs fail me and stop working as if it's giving all the energy to my heart, for it to beat as fast as it is by now. "I- I came to give you this letter, will you please read it". That didn't seem like a question more like a beg, and as I was lost in my thoughts he replied coldly "I don't want to".

There I stood dismayed, body frozen like a stone and my eyes were the only thing that moved following every step he took until he climbed his horse and left.

He rejected me. Coldly.

Fear, anger, anxiety is what filled me as I crumble down on my knees bewildered. No I'm not crying, i will not cry on someone like him. I squeezed the letter in my hands as I yell, "I shall not cry on a pompous, selfish, overbearing guy like you!!". However, yet again my eyes fail me and droplets of tears trace the shape of my cheeks.

"I hate you.." I whispered.