XXXII

In his arms I realized one thing. The way sadness and misery works is one of the strangest and hardest riddles in the world, because you may feel alone despite the fact someone is holding you, but it's also because sadness may spread all over your life, like smoke from an enormous fire.

"I can explain.."he sighs, letting go of my worn out body gently. I stare him in the eyes as I wait for the words that might strike me dead. I knew what was coming but I just didn't want it to be told. Not to me, not to anyone. "I was looking for Oliver when one of the maids told me he went upstairs." He continues saying, "I rushed up looking for him, looking for the only person who you truly love".

I swallow the pain that tried to exceed its curfew, waiting to hear the rest. "All that until...until I saw him kissing her. I-I stood in place, unable to move. I kept trying to stop that urge of beating him to death because I know you will never forgive me or listen to me then. So I stood, speechless, trying to form the right words I must tell you. Its- it's like I was sinking into a coma, slowly and slowly. You, the thought of you deprived me from being a murder. And I'm sorry. I'm sorry I thought of you that moment, because deep down me, I know he deserves to go to hell" he explains, trying to keep the strong voice of his, trying to suffocate his weak self.

I stand in shock, powerless, inadequate to form the sounds of knives, we tend to call words. The knives melted, so where the sounds. A tear betrays my whole system as it draws a curve down my cheeks. Edward immediately rubs it away, smudging the sad painting my tear was creating. "I'm sorry.." I breathe out. The tenderness in his words, could calm down a tsunami, as if it were the light to a dark cave. He pulls me in his arms as my complete system betrays me now. Waterfalls came running down my cheeks and I can't help but see the image of Oliver and Gwendolyn in my head.

After forming the right words to spread the toxic news to Caroline, she didn't take it well, but she managed to be there for me. "I'm truly sorry darling." Caroline speaks, hugging me softly, as tears betray her to draw soft lines down her cheeks. I try to fake a soft smile as I shake my head slowly, "it's alright. You can't force someone to love you". After I said that I could feel Edward looking at me from the edge of the room, so I look at him and he gives me that pitiful smile, I've always despised.

I turn my attention to Caroline and mother as I feel my heart beat faster and faster. 'You have got to move on' my mind spoke to me. I nod to my own thoughts, not realizing at that moment, my heart was beating for something else. Something I had to discover. "It's time darling" my mother tells me as she rubs my shoulders. I finally nod to Edward after a long while of waiting in silence. In utter pain and responsibility. It was time, it was time to let him go. To move on form this misery that i've had my family suffer the pain with.

Edward came back, following both Oliver and Gwendolyn. "What's going on here?" Gwendolyn speaks, holding Oliver's hands. If scars could be shown under clothes, you would be able to see the scars his knives have left. "Elizabeth.."Oliver breathed out. And I wished that second that maybe and just maybe there might be hope. "We understand. We know that you will never have a chance of enjoying a happy life with Elizabeth. Or at least that is her case now" Caroline speaks carefully? Trying to keep her role as a princess.

"We say it's best if you both travel away, together. Without anybody knowing. Instead of having a divorce and ruining the reputation of the royal family" my mother completes as she could sense the weakness take over Caroline, haunting her. "Mother?.." Oliver whispers as he walks over to Caroline. He realizes that at this moment it wasn't about me, Elizabeth. It was about choosing his mother or his lover. "You can't be serious.." he states, his breath hitching from the sudden pain he feels. "You have shamed me...and the village" Caroline hisses lowly.

I look up from the invisible book in my hands, a bit taken back with Caroline's words. It was painful, unforgiving, it was what I've always felt. I made eye contact with Oliver as he picks up his unmercifully attitude saying, "and what's her say in it? She's the wife after all". I glare at him, shocked at his attitude, even in front of his mother. "Glad you know who she is" Edward scoffs from the edge of the room, crossing his arms. I turn my gaze at Edward who looked at me with a smirk, raising his eyebrows.

I smile a bit at his joke that threw courage and power at me. I look back at Oliver, with determination this time. "I vowed to myself, to keep me happy and your disappearance will do me good" I speak, raising my voice, for him to hear and feel every word I've said. I see Gwendolyn as she curses under her breathe, pulling Oliver with her, "let's get out of here. I can't stand a single breath she breathes".

I keep my eye contact with Oliver and for some reason, i feel the need to stop him, because those eyes said something he never allowed the demons to hear. 'Don't' my mind warned and I obliged. It was Oliver's steps that were being dragged by Gwendolyn, it felt like he didn't want to leave, but then again,

my pain needed to.

I see as Edward yell from the hallway, "the cake is scrumptious by the way, if you want to cry and eat!" He looks back at me and I smile softly to him. He came running towards me and hugged him tightly. He didn't care what my mother and Caroline's reaction might be by seeing this kind of action from a royal member, but truthfully I needed that. I needed the love Edward always provided me. Maybe I was just blinded by this harsh love I once thought was good for me but now I'm glad he's here, till the end.

"He's gone now. You're free from all this pain" Edward states, squeezing my arms. I smile to him but I knew I haven't just lost my pain,

I've lost way more. I've lost him.