XLVII

Two weeks filled with worries have finally gone by. As this week flows above us I await another letter from Edward. He would send us a letter every week and the days in our side haven't passed by either. I now sit on my bed admiring out the sunset taking over Asbury, thinking of what this view may be on the other side.

"Elizabeth" the familiar voice that I'll always recognize grabbed me by my hanging mind. I turn around to see Oliver. He walks towards me with letters in his hands. I look at him as he switches between the letters, "he wrote you a separate one" Oliver whispered. "Oliver..there is nothing between us. I promise you that he's probably joking around in this one" I softly say as I slip the letter from his palms.

He nods, eye cold as I always knew. He sat beside me and we both opened to read our separate letters. I hesitate for a second, unaware of the power the words may hold. I hesitate because maybe Oliver's thought were true. I hesitate because I'm not ready to witness what a part of my heart has seen. I feel the stare of Oliver on my weak self as he calmly says, "I'll leave so you can read it yourself". And as I saw him leave I didn't dare to stop him. I was weak, my heart couldn't choose, but I guess Oliver did.

I look back at the letter and I start to read it.

Dear Elizabeth;

Another week has passed, so did so many soldiers. I shall have the audacity to express the truth in our side. Things are rough, really rough. But I'm hanging on, for my mother, for Asbury and for you. I promised you to take care and I don't wish to break that any time soon. Elizabeth, I can't stop thinking about your words, your way of expressing things. The view here is so calming, unlike what's happening. The way the sunset reflects on the ground filled with rain and blood, it was a painting I wish to see the last, before I spill my own shade of blood. I beg of you to pray for this to end. I beg to see you one last time. If something ever happens to me I want you to promise me you will keep looking for me, because I, Edward, never breaks his promises.

From; Edward.

I seal the letter shut as I sigh in despair. And I didn't know what to do, didn't know how to guide and how to control my own feelings. I need you father.. I try to shake the deadly thoughts drowning my mind. "Elizabeth.." i look up at a worried looking Caroline. I try to smile but she's grown too close to see the lie behind the mask.

"Nothing will happen to him, we will make sure of it" she smiles as she runs her warm fingers on my cold cherry cheeks. I nod slowly, "you're right. It's just I didn't want him to leave. I wasn't feeling so good about it and now I live in complete fear of losing my only friend" I say. "I understand, but he wanted it. Part of you has to give him what he wants. This is what a friendship is all about. You supported him on his cause, and you will protect him from it too" Caroline replies, reassuring my thoughts.

"May I come in now?" The echoing voice of Oliver enchanted the room as we turn to see him standing tall, palms tightened together. I smile gently at him as he returns it back. Caroline shifts her weight and goes to stop him half way through. She spoke words I wasn't ought to hear. I tried to read Oliver's expression but he always won at this game. I see her as she looks at me and says, "I'll let Adeline prepare dinner for us all". With that I see her perfect picture leave the room.

I walk over to Oliver as I run the tips of my fingers on his cheeks. I admire him and how he held my hand, closing his eyes in comfort. "Elizabeth.." he breaths out. "Hmm?.." I whisper gently, allowing silence to flow freely in between us. Allowing the warmth lying within me, spread it's venom in him. "I'm afraid" he whispers before opening his eyes slowly. I manage to keep my palm still on his cheeks as I wonder why. "I'm afraid of what we've done. That it might be all wrong, that we shouldn't have started a war". 

"Dear Oliver." I say removing my palms away. "We have no choice" was the only truth I found in my thoughts. "They asked for it. They killed one of us, to prove it. It was our job to not betray our people" I continue. I try to look at his glowing eyes but I've never felt this fear in him. He was afraid. "Oliver.." I try to lead the track of his owns. "What is the matter?" I finally confront him. He takes a deep breath and looks up at the ceiling, before meeting my own worried eyes. "I wasn't a king before, I shouldn't act to be one. I know not of what to come. I know not of what to be".

I didn't say anything, because he's right, but I couldn't let my love fall down in between this crises. "No one is to know what to come but Oliver, you were raised as a king. Now you need to serve as one" I speak gently, as control betrays me in the Midst of my words, allowing pain to be heard. "I beg of you not to back down" I whisper a plead.

Oliver nods after a while, raising my hands to his soft lips. "Thank you" he says, leaving his soft kiss on my wrist. As I see him stand straight up again I couldn't help but lean in slowly to capture those lips, as I told myself it shall leave a mark on my heart. He didn't resist, he indeed kissed back. He was gentle yet passionate. It was like our first ever kiss on our wedding day, but it's just now I felt the love carving my heart.

"I love you my dear Oliver" I speak as we both lay the bridge of our noses together. "I love you my queen" he breaths out heavily and kisses me again.