XXI

Elizabeth's pov

I slowly yet painfully lay the mind carrying the earth's weight down on the couch, and I can't help but wonder what went wrong. Maybe this was all a mistake, an unfortunate miracle. I hopelessly worry on both Oliver and Edward. Hopelessly wonder if Edward is doing well in the hospital, hopelessly wonder where Oliver might have disappeared, hopelessly wonder if I'm myself anymore.

My heart pounds, it pounds for Edward, it pounds for Oliver and it pounds to prove I'm still alive. "Elizabeth..". I raise my heavy head slowly, thoughts falling back down like a river and I allow my eyes to land on the person standing behind me. "Adeline?", I ask. "No your highness, he isn't back yet", she looks down. Worrisome doubles itself and sadness invites itself in. I try to smile despite my state and I say, "it's alright Adeline, how may I help you?". She looks up and smiles softly, "your mother is waiting for you downstairs, your highness".

"Elizabeth", I say. She titles her head as she asks, "I'm sorry?". I leave a real smile slip out as I complete, "Call me Elizabeth, remember". That was more of an obligation rather than a question, for Oliver was right, I'll never be one of them, in fact I think I'll remove myself if I were.

Mrs Connor pov

"Anything ma'am?" One of the maids asked me politely. "Tea, please" I reply smiling softly to her. I look at her as she bows and leaves the living room. As my mind is distracted I hear a faint voice calling my name, I turn around as I meet Caroline. "Oh Mrs Connor, it's a pleasure to see you again" she hugs me as I return the favor back. "The pleasure is all mine princess".

"Oh please address me with Caroline", she chuckles before sitting down in front of me. "Elizabeth is soon to arrive, I've sent Adeline to call her", she looks at me as a smile slowly spread onto my face. The mention of my daughters name brings me joy, and the fact I'll see her soon enough, brings me hope. I worry about her, way too much. Because I know, I know too well she's going through stuff, going through a rough time just being married to Oliver.

The tea comes in, following my only daughter, my only life, my only soul, rushing towards me. I embrace her, smelling the roses that were forbid in our home. Feeling the piece of diamond shatter between my arms, and I realized, I realized I wasn't the mother she needed.

I was never there, not in the times she needs me the most.

I sit down, rubbing her palms into mine as she washes me with her worried questions. I gladly answer each and every single beg slipping out of those lips, I made. "Now tell me honey, how have you been? Eh?" I run my fingers into her silky hair as  a maid comes walking towards Caroline, interrupting us saying "Pardon me, but Prince Quill called for you your highness".

Elizabeth and I nod towards Caroline as she excuses herself. There an empty room settles in and I look back the Elizabeth.

"What's the matter darling?" I ask as she shakes her head denying the pain I clearly see. I pull her into my embrace, "it's alright not to be fine, it's alright to..break at times". The melodies of pain slowly flows in leaving the bottled kettle. I try not to cry, I try to be there for her, I try to stay strong, I try to move on, I try and I try...

But when you break an egg to get the yolk out, it's shield must crack. And for I break with her.

The tight tug on my clothes as I hear her sob, leaves my warm tears flow down my cheeks without any noise, without any notice, without any regret. "It's going to be alright..it's going to be alri-ght" the weak cracked voice of mines try to reassure her with words I wish to make true. I rub her back as her sobs were getting weaker, as her heart was getting stronger.

That dream, that dream soon will become her reality and I've got to stop that for happening. I've got to protect her, I've got to save...her..

She pulls away and I grab her face in my palms, "you don't have to do this anymore".

Elizabeth's pov

My eyes look into her's, seeing the world that's trying to manage through a hurricane of emotions. And I can't help but reply, "What are you saying mother?". She rubs her thumb, drying the last droplets of tears trying to escape. "You don't have to do this no more. I can't see you like this no more. I can't see your shatter in front of my eyes and not be able to help you. You don't have to do this".

I look at her, lips shut, eyes trying to figure out what might she be running from, what might be the door to my escape. She stares deeply into my eyes and says, "We already payed for the last month's and this month's rent. You can come back, your father will work like he normally did." She gulps before she completes her sentence. And I knew by the look in her eyes, she doesn't regret what she might say. She doesn't hesitate to see the real smile plant itself on my face once I'm really free.

And I listen with all of my might but was scared by the look in her eyes, as if they already lost the fight.

She speaks, words that would haunt our enemies and give life to those of needs.

"..Get a divorce..".