LIV

Edward's pov

The afternoon arrived as I finally gather the courage I need to speak to Elizabeth, to further her truth. I knock on her bedroom door quietly as I hear her angelic voice replying , "please come in". I step in and I see her fragile figure standing by their, her bed. I walk towards her and I see her as she tries to smile, trying to show kindness and control.

"How are you feeling?" I say as I pull her lightly to sit down and relax. "I quite am at a loss of feelings edward" she speaks shaking her head slowly. I nod my head lightly in approval and I say, "he cared for you, even in his last minute. It's always been you" I speak slowly, trying to assure her burdened heart that he, the cold hearted man, had feelings for one only, for Elizabeth conner.

Elizabeth's pov

Even in his last minute.

It seemed surreal, even as it slid out Edward's lips. It all seemed unreal, like Oliver was alive and that he will come back soon. I nod slowly to Edward as I feel tears forming in my eyes. My mind was crowded and I felt the desire to let it all out, to start new but I just couldn't, there was something missing, the last piece of my mind puzzle.

"Elizabeth.." Edwards husky yet calming voice pulls the nerves in my body to his owns, grabbing my full attention. "Yes?" I ask. "I know you are going a lot right now. But I need to be the one to tell you this rather than anyone else." He speaks, eyes piercing into mines. The tension rose by time and my heart raced for an end. "Oliver made me promise him something before I left." He sighed. "And that is..?" I try to rush him in his words, try to get that message olive left me.

Edward's pov

I knew she wanted to know, I knew she was dying to hear that message but I just couldn't put it in words, put in harmless words that won't break her. "He wanted you to be king, didn't he?.." she spoke as her voice broke in the middle of her question. I was taken aback, confused on how she knew. "Yes..but I won't sign the contract. I know I promised him but I just can't-Be a king, take all the power, take....take you" I sighed at the end mentioning her.

Elizabeth's pov

Despite the news, the piece to my puzzle was still missing. I didn't believe Oliver was gone, he promised to come back and I promised to do all I can while he is away. To raise our child, to hold this country, to bring it to peace. "But i can't give the power to prince quill. He's too cruel" I spoke after a long quite time, of stress and confusion to both I and Edward. "I know and that's why I think it's best if you give the power to his highness Henry" Edward replies.

"But his highness can't-" I stop myself before giving any excuse to not give it up. "He's isn't dead Edward.." I whisper and I immediately hear Edward's worried voice, "Elizabeth.." he leans in and he hugs me tightly and I break down. A crushed ice cream cone in the hands of reality. I melt and my tears were the flavor my cheeks tasted for 30 minutes straight. "Oliver-" i sob grabbing into Edward, "he cant be dead. I- I don't feel it". I drown in my own tears. I drown in despair from the depths, the war, the loss. It all costed so much, it all costed his life..

.................

Edward's pov

I now sit in the once Oliver's personal room. And I can't help but chuckle remembering all the good days and the stupid fights we used to have in this exact room. It was the days I wish I never lost. My heart was crushed for Elizabeth, for her family, for Oliver. I can't help but hear her sobs in my ears lingering in pain. I loved her and I still do, but I know that's still something I can't take. When I think of her and myself I couldn't help but get wrapped around my own ropes of thoughts, that until I untied myself and realized they were meant to be and I, Edward, can never hurt her.

"Edward. Are you there?" I hear her voice in my head and I lean back running my own hands over my face. She has been in my mind the moment I left to the war, the voice that pulled me through, not as a lover, but as a friend. She made me feel at home. Knock after a knock I realized it wasn't just in my head. "Yes- yes come in please" I stutter immediately. She opens the door and then closes it behind her. I Stand up as she pulls closer to her scarf, making her way up to me.

"Edward..." she whisper oh so gently. "I know. I know what you're going to say Eli. I therefore declined it without your consent." I sigh slowly before putting my hands in my pockets, "I'm sorry. That I wasn't there for Oliver, I'm sorry I couldn't even keep his promise". She looks down and then back at me, "no Edward. Please just don't say anything els-". I shake my head so fast, not wanting to hear it, the sound of my own shattered putted heart, fall back down by the only hope that put it back in pieces. "Don't Elizabeth. Please don't- I- I'll leave now and maybe and only maybe then you can keep your promises to Oliver".

The failure I felt in myself as I took my coat and was about to head out, was all suddenly put on a pause after words, addictive poison , slid out of her lips.

"Edward, let's get married..."