XXVIII

The hardest things to let go are the things we never had. That awful feeling we get when we try our hardest and then we realize it was never good enough for anyone, not even for yourself.

That feeling is what's taken over me now.

That feeling is what I felt right before I opened up my eyes from this unforgiving dream.

It all felt so real. Edward saving me as he always did, Oliver barging in into my happiness, to slowly burn it and I, ending up the miserable peasant I am. It all felt real until I saw Oliver holding me up from the farm's aching ground.

"Elizabeth? Elizabeth, please" I heard his soft voice as he caressed my cold cheek. I managed to look at those eyes one more time, I managed because of love. He looked worried, he looked different, he looked broken.

"Oliver.." I barely whisper. "Yes! It's me. I'm here." He rubs my face, smile plastering on his face slowly, beautifully. I didn't believe it. I didn't believe he's smiling to me. "I'm so sorry, my love. I'm so sorry." He trailed. I cough from the cold weather I slept in, but I needed to hear him, I needed his voice to warm me up. "I- I just don't know what got into me. You're right, I am brutal. I shouldn't have done what I've done. I was supposed to take care of you, like you care for me. I- I love you, Elizabeth, I truly do and I'm so sorry for hurting you." He speaks. And as I melted in relief in his arms, I knew that this must be real. This must be the real Oliver.

I hold his face in my palm as I whisper calmly to him, "how can't I forgive you? How can't I forgive my only love?". I see his face as it brightens up. My words were the electricity to his dull lamp. He chuckles as a tear slides down his face, and he hugs me ever so gently, ever so meaningfully.

"I love you, my wife.." he breathes in my neck. The cold weather I stayed under was gone, our love won the war against it. My heart was finally at peace. And my limbs got their gasoline.

I held him close to me, not wanting to let him go. Not wanting to be told that this is a lie. Not wanting to let go of reality.

"Elizabeth?" The calm voice whispers into my sensitive ears and I slowly swing my lashes up, to the face the world in front of me. "Caroline?.." My inaudible voice asks, confused, "where am I ?". I see her pitiful smile draws itself on her angelic face as she replies, "You're home. You've fainted for a while darling, but everything will be alright". I look at her as I study her detailed features. Never have I seen a shinning moon ever so close.

And then it hit me, the voice I last heard, was the voice of Prince Quill. Quill was the greater demon. "Oliver? Is Oliver alright?" I mumble, as I try to wake up. Caroline immediately stands up and lays me back softly, "He will be alright. Just rest and I'll make him come in if I saw him". I see as she pulls her dress to sit back down. I turn to look at her as I feel it, as I feel the pain is about to travel with silence. And that's Caroline's smile faded into a sad frown with tears flowing down her clear face, painting a blurry image full of heavy feelings.

"Caroline what's the matter?...." my voice trails off. She looks at me, trying to fake a smile, unable to. "Don't. Don't fake your smile" I say, knowing the feeling and strength needed to paint one on. Especially on a pure heavenly face.

Her eyes drowned in my ocean, as she cries softly. I look at her, unable to speak, unable to heal. I look at her as she covers her face and places it on the edge of the bed. I couldn't do anything but move my weak arms and slowly tap her weakly in a sweet melody.

A while passed on and Caroline finally woke up from her sleep. Her exhaustion and pain took over her, and I didn't bare to be the light to wake her up. She looks at me and gives me that pitiful smile. "I'm sorry" she whispers. I shake my head calmly as I hold her palm in mine. "There is no need to apologize when your healing yourself".

"It's just. I couldn't be there for him. I couldn't be there for my son" she explains hesitant. "I- I thought he was changing, but I never thought he would change to the worse-" she breathes out, trying to hold those soft tears left in her. I run my thumb over hers, to reassure her that it's alright, it's alright to feel pain.

"I know my son. I know Oliver. He didn't want to be like  this, it wasn't in his hands. I still couldn't be there to speak the truth, to keep him near me." She says. And I realize now, that Oliver will be gone. "I- I have got to- to do something" I mutter in horror, in fear.

I wake up from my awful position, denying the protest Caroline is showing. And I run, looking for Oliver, looking for my love. That dream I had, that was a sign. It told me that Oliver isn't like this, that he isn't able to escape his own darkness. And I, Elizabeth Connor has got to do something.

I ran out as I see Prince Quill commanding Oliver to leave. I see Oliver in a distance, holding a suitcase, unable to protest his father. I panicked, I found myself hopelessly running towards Oliver, dodging his suitcase away. The sound of Prince Quill, yelling my name to come back in, was all an echo in my empty mind.

"Elizabeth.."Oliver whispers warmly. I hold his face in my hands as I feel tears of joy run down my face. "Let us escape your darkness together" I whisper to him gently, caressing his soft face. He shuts his eyes and holds my face in his palm, resting his forehead on mine. "Forgive me" he says.

And I knew those words didn't actually mean forgiveness. It meant something terrible is about to come.