22

Lexi's POV

Riley came back to school and I'd been getting rides with him as Jack and I weren't exactly on speaking terms at the moment after our fight in the hallway three days ago. I walked out of my last period class around ten minutes after the bell had rang and I walked out the front doors. I saw Riley waiting outside in his car and I walked over and got in the passenger's seat. I pulled out my phone and texted Sam.

To Sammy:
Me: hey do you wanna get coffee at the mall?

"You're not talking to Jack are you?" Riley asked as we left the parking lot. 

"No." I told him and seconds later Sam replied. 

Sammy: yeah, ill meet you there at 3?

Me: sure

"Can you drop me off at the mall instead of home?" I asked my brother. 

"Yeah. Why?" He asked, stopping at a red light.

"Sam and I are just gonna get coffee and talk." I told him, now going to my texts and texting the person I didn't particularly want to talk to right now. 

To Johnson: 
Me: meet me at the mall at three

He replied almost instantly. 

Johnson: K

"Don't you find it ironic that we live with her but you two haven't made up?" He asked. 

"I guess. We're not always home at the same time though." I said, turning on the radio and 'Love Lies' started to play throughout the car and I turned the volume up. 

"Tell me where your love lies, waste the day and spend the night, underneath the sunrise, show me where your love lies..." I sang along to Khalid's voice as we drove down the highway. (A/N- this is actually my favorite song at the moment.) It was a short drive to the mall and Riley pulled up next to the entrance and I could see Jack waiting inside by H&M. 

"Thanks, I'll see you at home." I said, attempting to get out before Riley had the chance to spot Jack. 

"Do you need me to pick you up?" He asked, rolling down the window as I shut the door. 

"Hopefully not, I can come home with Sam." I said, my purse over my shoulder and my phone in hand. 

"Ok." He said, driving away. I walked in the doors and Jack looked up from his phone. 

"Hi." I smiled slightly. 

"Hey... why'd you want me here?" He asked. I started to walk towards the food court and he followed. 

"Just come with me." I answered. We walked in silence until we made it to the food court and the smell of Cinnabons and Auntie Anne's pretzels surrounded us. I saw Sam looking around the mall and standing next to her... Gilinsky. She saw us and I think we had the same look on our faces. 

"What's he doing here?" Sam asked, but not in a rude way. 

"I thought he should talk with us." I shrugged. "What're you doing here?" I asked Gilinsky. 

"I don't know honestly. Sam wanted me to come." He said. I glanced over at the coffee stand line and Sam lead the four of us over there. We'd ordered our coffee and sat down at a table. 

"Are we ever gonna figure out what's wrong with us or just accept the fact that we can feel what someone else feels?" I asked, breaking the silence hanging in the air around us. 

"I've been doing some more research." Sam said, and I think the three of us all got hopeful.

"And?" Johnson asked, taking a sip of his iced coffee.

"Nothing at all. Or at least that we haven't read before." She sighed. 

"Maybe we should go to a doctor." Gilinsky suggested. 

"Maybe..." Sam said. 

"I think a psychologist would be a better choice." Johnson said. Sam and Johnson kept talking, leaving Gilinsky and I out of the conversation. 

"Lexi, can I talk to you?" Jack asked, taking me by surprise, as we hadn't talked for weeks. 

"Yeah." I said, standing up from the table and leaving my coffee. Jack started to walk away from the food court and I followed closely behind him, eventually catching up. We found a little bench to sit on, next to a fountain that contained dozens of pennies people had tossed in, hoping their wishes would come true. 

"I'm sorry." He said. 

"About what?" I asked, although I knew. 

"All of this. Choosing Sam over you. Ignoring you." He said. I wasn't really sure what to say. 

"You know, I never stopped loving you." He said, making me look up at him. 

"Wait, what?" I asked, not believing him. 

"Even when I was with Sam, you were in my mind somewhere. It didn't feel right to be with her, knowing that you were with my best friend." He said. 

"Then why did you stay with her?" I asked, fiddling with the broken threads of my ripped jeans. 

"I think that I told myself I loved her but I really didn't. Not the same way I loved you. And it killed me feeling the way Johnson made you feel." He explained to me. 

"You felt happy too sometimes though..." I pointed out. 

"Like I said, I lied to myself about loving Sam and I believed my own lie." He looked at me and by the look in his eyes I knew he wasn't lying. 

"Jack-" I was saying until he cut me off by pressing his lips to mine. I was about to pull away out of pure shock but I gave in, letting my lips melt into his. He pulled away after a short couple of seconds. I looked at him. 

"I missed that." I whispered, causing Jack to smile as he leaned in again, this time his fingers tangling in my hair and I put my hand on his leg, leaning into him more, my other hand gently running through his hair. We pulled away out of breath. 

"I want my babygirl back." He smiled, causing my mouth to form into a smile. And for once in the past few days, everything seemed to be okay again. 

---A/N---

 oof I'm listening to one direction and there's so many FEELS RIGHT NOW :'))

and I'm actually kinda happy with how that chapter turned out!!

-Lexi