36

Lexi's POV

It was a Saturday morning and Nick was on his way over because he said he has something to show me. We've been "together" for the past four months now, ever since Gilinsky and I broke up. I say together because we act like a couple but we aren't dating. He doesn't want to rush in and risk messing things up.

I haven't talked to Jack lately, only seen him around school every once in awhile. I'm glad that Nick isn't in high school with us, he's finishing up his first year of University. I didn't want to drag him into the whole Jacks drama. Thank god we're graduating high school in a month.

I heard a knock on the door and set down my coffee cup on the kitchen table. I walked to the door and opened it.

"Good morning baby." Nick said, greeting me with a kiss on the lips.

"You're in a good mood." I laughed as he came inside.

"Hopefully you will be too." He smiled. "Close your eyes." 

"Okay." I giggled, as I did what he said. He took my hand and opened it palm up. He placed something small in it. 

"Open your eyes." He said quietly. I opened them to see a key in my hand. 

"A key? For what?" I asked in confusion. 

"Our place." He grinned. My mouth opened a little in disbelief. 

"Nick... our place?!" I asked. 

"Yep." He nodded. 

"Oh my god." I smiled, hugging him tightly. He hugged me back tighter, lifting me off the ground. He kissed my forehead as he let me go. 

"I know you said you wish you could just have a fresh start but you didn't wanna move away, and our place is right between your house here and my University. So we won't be far from either place. It's perfect." He told me. I heard footsteps from upstairs and turned to see Riley standing at the top of the stairs. 

"Can I talk to you, Lexi?" He asked, obviously eavesdropping on Nick and I's conversation. Nick and Riley were really good friends but once he found out Nick and I were seeing each other, they've been a lot more distant.

"Yeah." I nodded, before handing the key back to Nick and going upstairs. I followed Riley to his room and he shut the door. 

"You're not moving in with him." He told me, crossing his arms. 

"What do you mean? Just because you aren't friends with him anymore doesn't mean you can stop me from being with him." 

"What do I mean? I mean you're staying here. You're not moving into an apartment with Nick." He sternly said. 

"Why??" I asked, getting frustrated. 

"It's not worth it! You're rushing into things and you're gonna get hurt!" He raised his voice, causing my eyes to water. I didn't want to cry right now but I couldn't help it. 

"You're not my dad! Ever since dad left, you've been trying to be so protective and worry about me. Well news flash, that's not your job! You're supposed to be my brother, not my father. You're supposed to be the one to help me sneak out, you're supposed to drink with me, you're supposed to be the one I can tell all my secrets to and not have to worry about them being told. And lately, I feel like you haven't been a sibling to me. I can look after myself Riley! I'm eighteen. I'm an adult." I snapped, letting out everything thing I've been holding in lately. It was dead silent for a few seconds. Riley stepped closer to me. 

"I'm only trying to protect you because I care about you, Lexi. It hasn't been easy for me either since dad left and I just don't want to see you hurt! Especially  by Nick. I told him, once I found out you two were together, that if he ever breaks your heart he's gonna regret it." He said, his voice quieter now. I sniffled. 

"What can I do for you to let me move with him?" I asked. 

"You know what? Fine. Do it. But don't come crawling back to me saying I was right when things don't work out." He looked at me, before grabbing his car keys and leaving his room. I stood there in disbelief. I reached up and wiped my eyes as I heard the front door slam shut. 

"Babe?" I heard Nick call from the hallway upstairs. I left Nick's room and forced a smiled. 

"I think you should go. I'll start packing my stuff tonight, okay?" I told him quietly. He put the key in my hand. 

"Call me later, please?" He said, wrapping his arms around me. 

"I will." I nodded. 

"I love you." He said to me. This was the first time he's said it. 

"I love you too." I said, but the way I said it was more like a question. It didn't feel natural coming out of my mouth. He went down the stairs and I heard him close the door.

 I went to my room immediately and sat on my bed, hugging my teddy bear that I've had since I was little. 

"Am I even ready to move in with Nick? This doesn't even feel right?" I talked to myself. After sulking for a few minutes I put my hair in a bun and went downstairs to the garage to find some boxes. I only ended up finding one, but decided that tomorrow I would go to the store. I packed some of my clothes up and fell asleep around eleven. 

"Good morning, honey." I heard my mom's voice and I opened my eyes to see her standing in my doorway. The sun was shining through my window. 

"Riley told me about your big news. I'm happy for you guys." She smiled. What did Riley tell her?

"Thanks, mom." I smiled, as she left my room. I looked at my clock to see that it was almost ten o'clock. I got out of bed and got dressed, deciding I would go to the store now to get more boxes. At this rate, I could be all packed up by this evening. Although deep down, I still didn't know if this was right. It sure didn't feel right. At all. 

One Hour Later

I got out of the car and brought my boxes with me. Riley hasn't talked to me all morning, let alone I haven't even seen him this morning. I walked in the front door and kicked my shoes off. I went upstairs with my boxes and when I walked past Riley's room, my stomach dropped. Riley was sitting in his room... with Jack Gilinsky. I quickly went to my room but it was too late.

"Hey Lexi." I heard Riley say. I rolled my eyes and turned around, looking into his room. Jack and I made eye contact but I looked away. 

"You remember Jack." Riley smirked. What the hell was he trying to do to me??

"No shit Sherlock." I whispered. I haven't talked to Jack in months. 

"I think you guys should talk, I'll be right back." He said, leaving his room and shoulder checking me on the way out. 

"Packing, huh?" Jack asked. I felt the urge to cry and I didn't even know why. I felt my eyes watering and my vision blur. I saw Jack get up and walk over to me, and the next thing I knew he wrapped his arms around me. Confused, I just stood there for a second, but then I dropped the boxes and hugged him back. 

"I don't know what I'm doing, Jack." I whispered, as I cried into his shoulder. 

"It's okay. You'll figure it out." He reassured me, as he didn't let go of me. 

"But what if I don't... he's not like you, Jack. I like him but it's not the same." I mumbled, not sure if I wanted him to hear the last part.

"Just listen to your heart, okay?" He told me, as I took in the scent of his cologne. It smelled the same. And it still felt the same when he hugged me. Everything felt the same as it did months ago...