30

Lexi's POV

"So Sam's moving." Gilinsky said, as we sat on his bed, an Xbox One controller in each of our hands. He was teaching me how to play Call of Duty, and to put it short, I was doing horrible. 

"Yeah I guess so." I sighed. 

"It sucks." He commented. 

"Yeah." I agreed. My eyes were fixed on the TV screen, and I watched as I died for the umpteenth time in the past hour. Jack paused it and turned to face me. 

"Hey, don't be upset, you'll get the hang of it." He smiled. 

"That's not what I'm upset about." I said, setting down the controller next to me.  

"So it is Sam." He stated. "I'm not too happy about it either." 

"I just don't get it. How they're just gonna pack things up and leave everything behind." I sighed. 

"Come here." Jack said, and I crawled closer to him. 

"If they really do go, and they're not just all talk, we'll still have each other." He said, pressing his lips to mine, and pulling me onto his lap. My fingers tangled themselves in his hair as we kissed. His hand went under the fabric of my shirt as his fingertips lightly grazed my back, sending goosebumps up my spine. 

"Jack can you- Oh. Um..." A voice interrupted and Jack groaned, recognizing his sister's voice. I turned to see her standing in the doorway. 

"I'm going for a walk." I sighed, getting off the bed and walking out of Jack's room. I went down stairs and slipped on my Vans before going out the front door. I shoved my hands in my pockets as the sun had just gone down and it was cooling off a bit. I crossed the street and walked towards one of the only places I knew here by Jack's: the park. I walked for about ten minutes before I arrived. There were a few little kids with their parents on the playground, not having to worry about anything at all besides deciding between going on the slide or the swings. I saw teenagers with their skateboards and glass bottles in their hands and the scene almost felt too familiar.

FLASHBACK

"Who's taking shots?" A voice called out above the loud music. Carleigh and I pushed through the sweaty bodies to get to the kitchen. We'd both already had numerous drinks but it was the start of summer and we have to kick it off someone.

"Us." Carleigh said to the guy pouring the liquid into the small glasses. We each took one and tapped it on the counter before downing the burning liquid.

"Give me another." I heard Carleigh say next to me, although it sounded like she was far away.

"Me too." I said without realizing. We clinked glasses before repeating what we'd done just a minute ago.

"That's what I'm talking about!" Carleigh loudly exclaimed before giggling.

"Do you wanna go to karaoke?" A random girl asked us, who I'd never seen at Jaysen's parties before.

"Sure!" We agreed before following her into the large living room where people were gathered around. Carleigh and I went up to the person controlling the karaoke machine.

"Song?" The drunken boy asked.

"Teenage Dream by Katy Perry?" I looked at Carleigh and she nodded.

"Comin right up..." He responded, handing us two microphones. The song started and we sang along as people clapped. I noticed the dining room table in the front of the room and had an idea. I grabbed Carleigh's hand and climbed on top of the table, pulling her up with me. Once the song ended we of course did another and another until we couldn't think of any more to do. People were starting to leave and it was now around 2 in the morning. We wandered out to the backyard where there was a massive bonfire. Car and I stood next to the two or three dozen people standing around it already.

"Hey, someone...grab that gasoline, let's make this fire even hotter." I slurred, causing people to nod or laugh. A boy who was only about ten feet away from us grabbed the red can and opened the lid and began to pour it on the already massive fire.

"Keep pouring!" I yelled, laughing. The fire grew a solid five or six feet in the air, and a lot of us stepped back.

"Guys do you smell something burning?" One girl asked, causing us all to look around. I looked up and saw that the corner of the house we were close to was catching on fire.

"Everyone inside!" A guy yelled. We started hurrying inside and through the house towards the front door. We made it out onto the street when Carleigh sighed.

"My phone must've fell out of my pocket." She realized, beginning to walk back into the house.

"Carleigh!" I yelled, but she kept walking. One of the guys who was out on the street with us grabbed my wrist.

"You're not going in it's too dangerous." He stated. "She's not gonna come back out."

"What do you mean?" I panicked, starting to cry.

"What I mean... is she's gonna be dead." 

It's all my fault... I killed her. I killed my best friend...

END OF FLASHBACK

I opened my eyes and didn't realize there were tears falling down my cheeks. A little kid started walking in my direction but I didn't pay her any attention, assuming she was just going to a different part of the park. 

"Are you okay?" 

I looked up to see her standing in front of me. She looked to be about 6 or 7 years old and mostly everything she was wearing was pink. 

"Yeah." I said, noticing who I assumed was her mom walking over. I wiped a few tears but they just kept falling.

"Avery, honey, don't bother her." She said. 

"Oh, no it's fine." I told the mom. "I should probably be going home anyways." I said, getting up from the bench and walking out of the park. The dim street lights lit up the neighborhoods that I walked by. Every minute or so I would wipe away the tears with the sleeve of my sweatshirt. It was actually Jack's. 

"Babe." I heard and saw Jack walking quickly towards me. He engulfed me in a hug as we collided and I felt safe again. As if it felt like home. 

"What's wrong? What happened?" He asked, his hands on the sides of my face as a worried and pained look washed across his face. 

"There's something I need to tell you..."

---A/N---

if anyone is confused: 

lexi was the one whose idea it was to make the fire bigger and then Carleigh had to go get her phone. the fire had engulfed the house and she didn't make it. it was lexi's fault because if she hadn't had the idea to make the fire bigger, the house wouldn't have caught on fire and Carleigh would still be alive

lexi