28

Lexi' POV

Johnson and Sam stood in the living room but I couldn't hear what they were saying. 

"He's such an idiot." Gilinsky muttered as he put his plate in the dishwasher. I sighed, feeling something but I wasn't sure what. 

"He's not an idiot..." I shook my head. Gilinsky shrugged. 

"Maybe just an idiotic move." He answered in response to my comment. 

"I should probably go." I said, looking at Jack. 

"Okay, text me when you get home." He said, kissing me on the forehead and giving me a hug. 

"I will. Love you." I told him as we pulled away and I grabbed my phone and purse. 

"Bye baby." My boyfriend called as I walked down the hallway. 

"Bye!" I yelled back, going out the front door. I walked down the driveway and to the street where I got in my car. How could they get married? Why right now? We haven't even graduated high school, although we will in about a month. I'm not sure if she said yes or not, but seeing how she was acting, I'm assuming she probably did. I turned on the radio and tapped my fingers against the steering wheel to the songs until I made it home. The only cars in the driveway were Riley's and Sam's, meaning Johnson had to have picked her up last night on the way to Gilinsky's. I walked in the door and walked up to my room to change my clothes. I'm honestly really glad that my mom wasn't home, cause she's been driving me insane lately. I changed into leggings and a too-big t-shirt that just so happened to be Jack's. 

"Hello?" Riley yelled from his room. He must've heard me come home. 

"It's me." I said, opening my door and almost colliding with him in the hall. 

"Oh, hey. Where were you last night?" He asked, running a hand through his hair. 

"Where do you think?" I asked. 

"Jack's?" He guessed. 

"Mhm." I nodded. 

"I still don't really like you being with him." He shook his head. 

"Too bad." I sarcastically smiled, causing him to roll his eyes as I followed him to his room.

"Listen, I have something to tell you but you cannot tell mom and Carl or I will kill you." I threatened, sitting down on his bed. He gave me a weird look. 

"You're pregnant?" He asked, almost in a whisper, his eyes going wide. 

"Hell no!" I shook my head. 

"Thank god..." He sighed in relief. 

"Sam and Jack are getting married." I slowly said to him. 

"What? You're joking." He said in disbelief.

"I'm not joking. He asked her to marry him this morning. Jack and I made breakfast and then Sam wanted to leave, and he asked her. Right there and then. Well he asked her when he was drunk last night but he asked her for real." I explained. 

"Why aren't you happy for her? She's our stepsister and your best friend." He asked. 

"I don't really know..." I lied, looking at him. 

"Oh no, don't even think about it! You and Gilinsky are not getting married!" He raised his voice. 

"You're not my dad, and I'm eighteen, Jack is eighteen, so we can do whatever we want! And what makes you think I was implying that I want to get married?" I said, standing up and crossing my arms. 

"We don't have a dad! We haven't for eight years now! You're my little sister so I think I should have some say in this!" He yelled. 

"Why do you have to remind me that he's gone? Do you think that I forget?" I yelled, feeling tears stream down my cheeks. 

"Well obviously there's reasons why I bring him up!" He said. 

"Like what?" I asked, not knowing what he was going to say. 

"I know for a fact that Carl doesn't mean anything to you and he doesn't to me either. Because of that, we don't even have someone close to being a father figure in our lives. Who else is gonna play that role?" He asked. 

I groaned in frustration, although I knew deep down that he was right, but I didn't want to believe it. 

"I hate you!" I said loudly, and left his room and went to mine, before laying down on my bed. 

FLASHBACK

I walked into the kitchen and my mom was pacing back and forth across the linoleum floor. I sat down at the table, the old wooden chair creaking as I did. 

"What's the matter?" I asked her. She was silent for a minute or two. 

"Honey, go get your brother." She said quietly. I hurried up the stairs into the bedroom that me brother and I shared. He was still asleep, and I walked over to the bunk bed, standing on my tip toes. 

"Riley get up, mom has something to tell us." I shook him awake and he yawned before we both went downstairs. We walked into the kitchen and both of us sat down at the table. 

"Where's dad?" Riley asked with a worried look. I hadn't thought of that, but assumed he was at work, before remembering it's Saturday. He doesn't work on Saturdays. 

"Your dad... he did something very bad." She slowly explained to us. I tried to think of something bad he could've done, but nothing came to my mind. 

"What did he do?" I asked curiously, doubting that it could be that bad. 

"You're not gonna see him again... I'm so sorry." She said, tears spilling and falling down her cheeks. 

"Why? Mom, why??" Riley asked, and I could hear the panic in his voice. I picked at a tiny sliver of wood sticking out of the side of the table, then felt pain as it poked through a layer of skin. I pulled my hand away and looked back to my mom. 

"Lexi, you might not understand this right now but you will later on. Riley, you'll know what I'm talking about." She said in between sobs. 

"Your dad is sentenced to the death penalty." 

END OF FLASHBACK

When that memory plays in my head it feels like it was just yesterday, and sometimes it doesn't seem like it happened. We always tell people are parents got divorced a long time ago. Sammy doesn't know, Gilinsky doesn't know, and I don't think Carl even knows. No one besides my family knows. 

They don't know my dad was a murderer. 

---A/N---

...

L