40

Lexi's POV

I got out of the shower and brushed my hair. I walked over to my closet and picked out a pair of black ripped skinny jeans and a cropped white t-shirt that I got thrifting with Sammy. I pulled out my hair dryer and fifteen minutes later, my hair was dry. After that, I put on mascara and lip gloss. I checked the time and saw that it was 12:00, and Jack would be picking me up in half an hour. I went downstairs to get a glass of water and Riley and my mom were in the kitchen. 

"What are you doing today?" Riley asked me as I stood at the fridge, filling a glass of water. 

"Hanging out with Nick." I partially lied. 

"Oh okay." He responded. He grabbed his car keys off the counter. 

"Where are you going?" My mom asked him. 

"I'm heading to the gym." He said, and with that he walked out the door. I sighed in relief, feeling better that Riley wouldn't be home when Jack picks me up. 

"What time is Nick picking you up? Or are you driving?" My mom asked as she stirred cream into her cup of coffee. 

"Um, he's picking me up at 12:30." I said. I looked at the clock and noticed that was in 25 minutes. I headed back upstairs and put on my checkered Vans and grabbed my denim jacket. I scrolled through Twitter until I got a text from Jack saying that he was here. 

"I'll be back later!" I yelled to my mom as I opened the front door and quickly closed it behind me. I walked down the driveway and opened the car door. 

"Hey, you look good." Jack said as I buckled my seatbelt. 

"Thank you. You do too." I smiled. He pulled out onto the street and stopped at a stop sign. 

"Okay where do you wanna go? Betty's?" He asked me.

"Sure." I nodded. Betty's Diner was always one of our favorite places to go together. It was this cute little restaurant downtown. They also have the best milkshakes, which I introduced to Nick, so sometimes we come just to get those. When we got there, it was pretty empty so we got a booth right away. 

"Last time I was here was with you." Jack said as we looked at the menus. 

"Really? That was months ago." I said, looking up at him. 

"Well it's our place, I'm not gonna come with someone else. It just wouldn't be right."  He said, winking at me. We figured out what we were gonna have and ordered, and just talked even after we finished eating and had paid for lunch. We were just talking and reminiscing on things and I was honestly really enjoying it. All of a sudden my phone vibrated with two texts from Nick. One was from an hour and a half ago which I never saw, and the other was from just a minute ago.

Nick: Good morning baby, what time should I pick you up?

Nick: Babe?

I sighed, and typed a reply and hit sent. 

"Nick?" Jack asked me. 

"Yeah..." I nodded. 

Me: Sorry I didn't see your message. I'm out at lunch with a friend right now, I'll text you when I'm home soon. And I think there's something we need to talk about. 

He replied only a few seconds later. 

Nick: Alright, is everything okay? And I'm getting a surprise for you right now, see you soon. 

I didn't bother replying, figuring it would be better to just have the talk in person with him. I didn't think anything of the part where he said he's getting a surprise for me, until I got a sick feeling in my stomach and saw him walk into the diner. Jack saw him too, but he hadn't seen us yet. He walked over to the counter and ordered milkshakes... that was the surprise. I turned my head, hoping he wouldn't see me, but it was too late. 

"Hey, you." Nick said, walking over to our booth. 

"Hi babe." I forced a smile. But Nick wasn't smiling.

"So... you and Jack went for lunch." Nick said, looking between me and Jack. 

"Yeah, what are you doing here?" I asked, trying to change the subject. 

"I was gonna get us milkshakes... why didn't you just tell me you were with him?" He asked, crossing his arms. 

"Cause I knew you wouldn't want me to." I told him truthfully. 

"What was it you wanted to talk about? Does it have to do with him?" He asked, raising his voice. 

I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out, except for "Nick...".

"We'll talk about this later, okay? Just call me when you want me to pick you up." He said, defeated, turning around and heading out the door of the restaurant. 

"You're not gonna go after him?" Jack asked me. 

"No." I shook my head. "I'm sorry this happened. I didn't think he would show up and act like that-" 

"Hey..." He cut me off, grabbing my hand. "It's okay." He nodded. 

"I am breaking up with him today. I want you, Jack." I said to him. 

"I'm glad. I want and need you, Lexi." He told me. We left the diner and Jack took me home, and I told him I would call him later. I called Nick once I got home and he said he was on his way over. I went out and sat on the porch steps. He pulled up in front of the house and walked up the driveway. 

"We need to talk." I said, picking at the frayed bottoms of my jeans. He sat down next to me. 

"I think I know what you're gonna say." He said. I looked up at him. 

"You still love Jack. I saw the way you looked at him once I'd left Betty's." He told me. 

"You did?" I asked. He nodded. 

"I'm sorry I acted that way in the restaurant. I'm not upset with you. I just want you to be happy, Lexi, whether that's with me or someone else. You're a beautiful girl with an even more beautiful personality. Maybe we just met at the wrong time. And if you want to stay friends that fine with me, and if you don't, that's fine too." He explained, and by this point I was tearing up. 

"I do want to stay friends. You are one of the sweetest people I know and if you're not gonna be my boyfriend then I at least want you as my friend." I nodded. He jokingly sighed in relief. 

"Good answer." He smiled. 

"I really am sorry though." I told him. 

"Don't be. It's okay. And I'm not upset with you, I promise." He said, holding out his pinky, causing me to smile. I linked my pinky with his and leaned my head on his shoulder. 

"Okay."