Robbie the zombie x child! Reader (Part 2)

(A/N)-- HEY MOTHERFUCKERS THANKS FOR 35K READS!!! also, while you're here, read chapter 14 of my book of randomness.

(y/n)'s POV

so i guess i'm travelling the country with a zombie now. i know, it's pretty weird, but let me explain. a few days ago, i was walking around the forest when i saw a field, and in that field was a zombie. long story short, i panicked, he calmed me down, and he's been with me ever since.

 it's kind of a bizarre situation, honestly. after we first met, i started to walk away and he just kinda...started following me. it's was pretty weird considering the circumstances, but he didn't bother me, so i let him tag along. well, not at first. when he started following me for the first time, i tried everything i could to make him go away, but he wasn't having any of it. whenever i told him to go away, he just shook his head and said something about  how he can't leave me alone...

--skip to the present--

Robbie and i are walking on a road that stretches for miles, forest surrounding us on either side. the sun is about to set, and it's bathed everything in a golden light. everything is completely silent, not that i'm complaining, i like quiet. i'm humming softly and walking a few yards ahead of Robbie, seeing as he's pretty slow. In a way, I'm kind of glad that he's here, not that I'd ever tell him that. I'm about to stop and let the zombie catch up to me, but then I hear a thumping sound coming from the forest.

The sudden noise causes me to jump and dart my eyes around. It seems like it came from my left, so I keep an eye on that side of the road. Sure enough, I hear it again, closer this time. I slowly take out my baseball bat and walk towards it, being as quiet as possible.

When I hear the noise a third time, I motion for Robbie to stay where he is, and he does so. Creeping toward the woods, I look out from behind a tree and see that it's just two men in a clearing, about to set up camp. I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding, and the men turn towards me.

"huh, it's a kid." Says the taller of the two. "Yeah, and it looks like they were gettin' ready to slug us or something." States his friend. I step back a little and lower my bat at his words.

"I s-swear I wasn't! I just w-wanted to see who was making the noise and took my bat out just in case!" I say quickly. The guys nod in understanding. "so yer' a smart one, that's good." One of them muses. "yeah, I guess so. I mean, I've survived for this long." I reply.

He shrugs. "alright, well now that you know it's just us, you can get on your way." I nod and put my bat back in my backpack. I'm about to step out onto the road again when one of the guys puts an arm out to stop me and points to Robbie, still standing on the road waiting for me.

"hey, look out. that there's a zombie."

"yep, it sure is."

"how about we show this kid how it's done?"

one of the men grabs two knives from out of his backpack and hands one of them to the other, and they start to walk towards Robbie. i gasp and run in front of them.

"wait, don't kill him! h-he's my friend!" i yell. 

"you're crazy, kid." one of the guys says as he grabs my shoulder and moves me aside. "it can barely function, how can you be 'friends' with it?" 

he pushes me to the ground and starts to walk toward Robbie, his companion following close behind him. i get up quickly and pick up my bat, running past the guys and standing in front of Robbie. "Don't you fucking touch him." i say, preparing to swing.

Robbie whimpers fearfully behind me. "...(y/n)?" he whispers. "it's gonna be okay buddy, just stay there." i tell him. i look back to the guys. "this is your last chance. leave now." they both step forward, so i swing my bat as hard as i can. i don't even hesitate. 

i hit the first guy in the knees, and hear a satisfying crack come from them. figuring that he won't get up for a while, i turn to his friend and hit him in the side of the head. when they're both on the ground, i bring the bat down and hit them a couple more times for good measure. then i grab robbie's hand and bolt.

the guys are completely out of sight before i finally allow myself to slow down. i turn to Robbie and let go of him. "did they hurt you?" i ask him. "n-no..." he says quietly. I breathe a sigh of relief and run my hand through my hair. "thank god." 

"...why did you...save me?" Robbie asks, seemingly out of the blue. I'm quiet for a few seconds, and then I shake my head. "well, I couldn't just let them kill you." I say to him. He looks down at his feet.

There's an awkward silence for a few seconds, and then I look out across the horizon. The sun set a while ago, so it's dark. "we need to set up camp." I mutter to myself. It only takes a few minutes to find a good spot, seeing as there's forest literally everywhere.

Of course, when I say "set up camp" what I really mean is "put all my stuff down and try to sleep on the ground," since I don't have a tent or blankets or anything like that. Robbie and I just end up curling up and trying to stay warm, but it's not going very well.

i can't sleep, so i'm just leaning against a tree and shivering. i curl into myself a little more, but it doesn't work. Robbie seems to notice and tilts his head curiously. "...what's wrong?" he asks me. "it's nothing, i'm just cold." i say with a shrug. 

Robbie seems to think for a few moments before patting the spot next to him in an invitation to sit down. i slowly get up and walk over to him, placing myself a few feet away from him. he frowns and scoots closer to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. 

"w-what are you-"

"shhh..."

I sigh and lean back. i figure there's no point in trying to argue, so i just cross my arms and stay put. it's then that i realize that Robbie is really warm. how is that even possible? i'm too tired to question it, so i just snuggle up to him and drift off.