Robbie the zombie x child! Reader (part 3)

(y/n)'s POV

Robbie and i have been trying to find a safe place to live for a long time now. it has to be secure, dry, and there can't be any risk of him or me getting hurt or killed, so it's been really hard. right now we're just on the highway, trying to find a place to sleep for the night. 

suddenly, i hear a gunshot ring out to the left of me. i whip my head around to see a woman holding a rifle. i freeze before the realization hits me that it wasn't me she was aiming for. slowly, i turn to check on Robbie. he's on the ground, clutching his stomach in pain. my heartbeat quickens, but i swallow my panic. i stare at the woman with a glare that could melt steel.

"what did you just do?!"

"what do you mean? i just saved your ass! plus, that was my last bullet..."

"like hell you saved me! you just shot my best friend!"

"it-"

before she can finish her sentence, i take out my baseball bat. "i don't want to hear it. get the fuck out of here before i crush your skull."

she can tell i'm dead serious and runs. a wise decision. as soon as she's out of sight, i drop my bat and rush over to Robbie, kneeling down next to him.

"h-hey Robbie?"

he tries to turn toward me, but in doing so he brushes his hand over his stomach, which causes him to let out a soft whimper.

"n-no, don't move! just hold still, ok buddy? i...i'm gonna patch you up. y-you'll be fine." i say, trying to hold back tears.

"i...don't think...that'd help..." he mumbles, moving his hand so i can see just how bad his wound is. it looks like someone took a chunk out of him. blood slowly flows from the bullet hole and stains the ground red. 

i let out a cry and hold onto Robbie's hand, not caring if it's covered in blood.

"i'm so sorry, Robbie. this is all my fault, i s-should have been more careful, i-"

he squeezes my hand and shakes his head. 

"no. not your fault...it's okay..."

"it's not okay! you just got shot for god's sake, and you're still trying to make me feel better..."

"(y/n), it's okay...you're alright...that's all that matters..." 

he trails off before his grip on my hand loosens and his eyes close slowly. 

"Robbie? Robbie! w-wake up, please! don't leave me! i can't lose you too..." i say through tears. i try to shake him awake, but it's obvious that he's gone. 

no. it won't end like this. it can't end like this. i'm not giving up. i'm going to get him back, i have to.

i wipe the tears from my eyes and stand up,  looking around and trying to find something, anything that can help me get him back. at that moment, i spot a truck in the ditch by the road. if i can get it started, i can drive to find someone that can help!

i sprint to the truck and jump in the front seat, frantically looking for the keys. after a few minutes, i finally find them in the glovebox. breathing a sigh of relief, i take the keys and put them in the ignition. Miraculously, the truck sputters to life. now comes the hard part - driving it. good thing i remember how my (parent/parents) did it. 

after what seems like forever, i get the truck out of the ditch. then i get out, walk over to Robbie, and try to pick him up. fortunately, crushing zombie skulls with my bat every day made me pretty strong, plus Robbie is light, so i'm able to lift him into the backseat. after that's done, i get back in the truck, pick a random direction and drive as fast as i can. 

...---...

i've been driving for about three hours. i haven't seen anything or anyone that can help me, but i'm not giving up. not until Robbie is back. it's at that moment that i spot a field . looking a bit closer, i can see a few tents in the distance. 

well, it's better than nothing. i pretty much drift off of the road and into the field, stopping a bit away from the tents so that i don't scare anyone. i open the door and go toward the camp, sprinting toward the first person i see, a man in a snapback. when he sees me, he stops what he's doing and looks at me curiously. 

"hey, what's a little dude like you doing out here by yourself?" he asks.

"i n-need help. someone shot my friend and i need to save him! h-he's all i have left...he's been dead for a while and i know i sound totally crazy asking you if you know anyone who can bring dead people back, but-" 

he cuts me off before i can finish. 

"woah bud, calm down for a sec, okay? i know someone who can help."

"wait...r-really?" i say.

"yeah! c'mon, i'll take you to him."

he heads off to one of the tents and i follow behind him nervously. when we arrive, he holds a hand up, signalling for me to wait. i do so, and he unzips the tent and sticks his head in. 

"Marv, you got a sec? we have a situation."

a few seconds later,  a man in a cat mask steps out.

"this little dude lost their friend, and they wanna get him back. i told them you could help."

he nods and crouches down to look me in the eyes. 

"hey kiddo. my name's Marvin, what's yours?"

"i-it's (y/n)."

"it's nice to meet you, (y/n). you have a friend you need me to bring back, right?"

"y-yeah..."

"alright. i just need to ask you a few questions about them and then we can get started. first off, what's their name?"

"R-Robbie. His name is Robbie"

"How did he die?

"...Someone s-shot him."

"What kind of gun did they shoot him with?"

"A-A shotgun, I think."

"is there anything else i should know about him?"

obviously i have to tell him what Robbie is, so i sigh and shuffle my feet. "He's a zombie."

"...a zombie?"

"he's not like the others, i swear!"

"what do you mean by that?

"he would never dream of hurting or biting anyone ever! he's the sweetest person i've ever met!"

Marvin frowns and looks me in the eyes, his eyes glowing blue. "are you telling the truth?"

"Of course i am!" i say defensively. "why would i lie about something like this?"

Marvin nods his head and his eyes stop glowing. "Alright then. I'll see what i can do for your friend. Chase? have JJ watch them while i find my spellbooks."

Chase nods. "Come on, little buddy." he says softly, holding his hand out to me.