Alone | The Host x Child! reader (part 2)

(A/N)-- this chapter is just gonna be a bunch of cute flashbacks fyi

(y/n)'s POV

For the first week The Host and I lived together (if you could even call it that), I was absolutely terrified of him. It was justified though. I mean, he just sat in the corner mumbling to himself all day and nothing else. He would go out to get food sometimes, but other than that, he never moved. It was super freaky, honestly. Everything changed one day, though. 

I was at the store, trying to scrounge up some breakfast when a particularly grumpy worker walked up to me. 

"What do you think you're doing, little thief?" He growled.

"Hey man, I j-just need food, okay?" I replied, slowly backing away.

The guy didn't want to hear it though. He grabbed my wrist, hard. Then he dragged me out of the store and threw me out into the street, twisting my wrist in the process. I yelped and stumbled out onto the sidewalk. I flexed my wrist, trying to assess the damage, but I had barely moved it when a stabbing pain shot up my arm, causing me to let out a soft whimper. I trudged back to the alleyway in defeat, only to see the host staring at me.

"I got kicked out of the store." I said sadly.

"The host knows." He stated. "The host also knows that (y/n) has a sprained wrist and requires medical attention."

(I forgot to mention that about him. He has this weird thing where he knows what people are doing all the time. All he has to do is narrate it.)

"You're probably right, but there's nothing we can do. It's not like we have money to go the doctor." I sighed.  

"What (y/n) says is true, but the host has quite a lot of experience bandaging things up, as they know. He might be able to help them. If they allow it, of course." He said the last part quietly, as if I was a scared kitten and he was trying to get me to come  towards him.

 "Okay, you can help. J-Just be careful, please." I told him after a few seconds of deliberation.

He nodded and knelt down next to me, pulling some bandages out of his trenchcoat pocket. He gestured for me to hold my wrist out to him, and I did so. He took my hand and wrapped the bandage around my wrist with surprising gentleness. When he was done, I mumbled a small 'thank you.'

...---...

it had been raining ever since i woke up. normally, i wouldn't complain about it, but back then i lived in an alleyway with no dry places. lucky me, right? i was curled up with my hood over my head, attempting not to get soaked. obviously it wasn't working and i felt like a drowned rat, but i had to try. 

The rain chilled me to the bone and I shivered involuntarily. Host tilted his head.

"The Host has noticed that (y/n) has become increasingly cold over the past few minutes. He would like to know if there is anything he can do to help." he said from his side of the alley.

"Depends, can you narrate a blanket into existence?"

"The Host cannot. However, he may be able to help in another way."

"...What do you mean?"

he hesitated for a moment before unbuttoning his trenchcoat and taking it off. 

"perhaps The Host's coat could help warm (y/n) up?"

"But I don't want you to be cold! if I did that, then all you'd have to keep warm is your sweater..."

"Not necessarily."

It took me a few seconds to realize that he wanted to share the trenchcoat with me. I looked down at my feet.

"If (y/n) doesn't wish to share the host's coat, that is completely fine with him," He added quickly. "He just wants them to be warm and thinks that this is the best way to do it."

I thought about it for a moment. He had given me no reason to fear him, and he had helped me with my wrist...

"No, it's okay." I said, standing up and walking over to him. 

He smiled a bit and patted the spot next to him in an invitation to sit down. I did, and he put the coat around his shoulders and pulled me into his side so that it was over the two of us like a blanket. At first, I was tense. I wasn't  at all used to being treated like I wasn't a nuisance or a thief, much less being held close like this.

I started crying. I tried to stop the tears by wiping my eyes with the sleeves of my hoodie, but to no avail. 

"why is (y/n) crying?" The Host asked softly. 

"I j-just realized that this is the nicest anyone has ever been to me...I-It's stupid, I'm sorry..." 

"it's alright. the host knows what it's like to be treated badly..." he trailed off as he brought a hand to his bandage. 

"Wait, you mean that someone...took your eyes?"

He nodded. I scooted closer to him and hugged him silently, and he turned toward me, curling himself around me. We fell asleep like that, and he kept me safe through the night.

...---...

I was outside the store waiting for the host while he went and bought us some food for the day. He had said that he'd only be a minute, so I told him that I could just hang out by the entrance for a while, and that's just what i was doing when two older kids walked up to me.

"What're you doing out here, shrimp?" One of them asked with a suspicious smile. I eyed them nervously, curling in on myself a bit.

"I'm waiting for my-um, i'm waiting for someone." I muttered, avoiding eye contact.

"Oh really? how much longer are you gonna have to wait?"

"I d-don't know...a f-few minutes?" at that point, i was backing away slowly, looking for somewhere to run.

one of them noticed what i was doing though, and she grabbed me by my shirt while the other just laughed.

"you're not getting away that easy. now hold still." the other said, cracking his knuckles.

Not knowing what else to do, i screamed. "Host! H-Host, help!"

silence.

the other kids laughed. "Aw. guess nobody's coming, huh? That's too bad. i guess we'll have to beat you up even more for being a scaredy cat."

"The Host believes it is you who should be scared." Host says somewhere to my left. i grin at the other kids.

"Oh, you guys are so screwed."

"Psh, w-what's he gonna do, fight us? he can't even see."

"The host can do things that you could never even conjure up in your worst nightmares. He suggests that you leave his child alone. now." He growled as his eyesockets started bleeding. The kids stood there in silence for a solid five seconds before bolting in the other direction. 

i sighed in relief and turned to the host, who had already crouched down to my level. his expression softened immediately and he cupped my face in his hands, checking for injuries.

"is (y/n) alright? are they hurt?" he muttered in a panicked tone. i sniffled and slowly wrapped my arms around him.

"i'm okay. I...I have a question, though." i mumbled.

"What is it?"

"when you were talking to those other kids...you called me your child. Why?"

"....The Host supposes he said it because it's true in a way. He has seen (y/n) as his child for some time now..."

He looked at me nervously, but i beamed. "R-really? " the host nodded, and my smile only got wider. "i've thought of you as a dad for a while, but i didn't want to risk telling you..."

"Well, (y/n) has nothing to worry about." he said, pulling me into another hug.