Alone | The Host x Child! Reader (part 3)

(y/n)'s POV

It's about 8 in the morning, and i'm snuggling Host just like always. It's cold today, so he's got his coat draped over me like a big blanket. i'm barely awake when a crash from the other end of the alleyway makes me jump about a foot. Host wakes up soon after me and starts narrating so that he can see his surroundings.

"The Host asks (y/n) if they heard that noise too."

"Yeah, I did...i'm gonna go check it out."

"Host advises (y/n) to be careful, as they do not yet know who or what is out there."

"You're right, but i know you'll kill it if it tries to hurt me." 

"True, true." He concedes with a small smile as he gestures for me to get up and go. I do, but i'm hardly prepared for what i see.

it's a man in a suit. his skin is grey, he has an aura that saps the color from everything around him, and a high pitched ringing presents itself as i get closer to him. Cautiously, i approach, and he looks down at me with an indifferent expression.

"Um...hi? Who are you?"

"That's none of your concern, is it?" He tilts his head to the side slightly, clasping his hands behind his back. 

"I g-guess not sir, but me and my d-...friend live here, so i'd appreciate it if y-you'd tell me who you are."

At that moment, Host rounds the corner to check on me. Speak of the devil.

"Is (y/n) alright-" he freezes in place and then looks up slowly at the man in front of us.

"Dark."

"Author."

The Host lets out something akin to a growl and glares at the other man, who i'm assuming is called Dark.

"That is not The Host's name."

"Right. My apologies, Host." Dark looks at him for a while before speaking again. "You've changed," he glances down at me. "Quite a bit, I'd say."

Host puts an arm in front of me as if he's trying to shield me from Dark. 

"The Host tells Dark to just state his business."

"I've come to bring you home. You have no idea how long we've all been searching for you. Ever since that incident of yours at the cabin, no one has been able to locate you. Though i'd never have guessed that you'd decide to stay with them." He gestures to me and Host steps in front of me.

"The Host advises Dark to leave his child out of this."

"Your child? My goodness Host, i never took you for the parental type. I have to say i'm surprised. but that's not what's important right now. The important thing is getting you home. Doctor iplier has been very worried about you, you know."

Host stops glaring and his expression softens just the tiniest bit. "The Doctor is worried about The Host...?"

"Very much so, yes. The poor man hasn't even been sleeping."

Host looks conflicted, looking from me to Dark and back again. I sigh.

"Host...I think you should go with him. you obviously miss this doctor guy, and...Whatever Dark is offering you right now is way better than what we have here. Even if i can't come with, i want you to be able to have a home." 

Dark turns back to host and puts a hand on his arm. "Excellent. then let's go."

A panicked expression crosses Host's face and he pushes Dark's hand away, making him scowl. "Wait."

Host quickly takes off his trenchcoat and hands it to me. 

"But Host, you love this coat! I can't just-" 

"Hush. The Host knows that (y/n) will take care of it." He says, smiling softly at me.

Before I can get the chance to thank him, Dark gets impatient and grabs his arm again. They're enveloped in a cloud of black smoke, and they disappear into thin air. I gasp and look around, but see no sign of Host anywhere. The one person in the city who cares about me and is like a father to me is gone. My dad is gone.

I don't cry. instead, I bite back my tears and put on his coat. it still feels warm, and it's at that moment that i decide that i won't keep the coat. i'll find The Host and give it back to him.