Fourty

Taehyung's POV

Looking at the little purple and white wrapped box in my hand I felt my anxiety spike. I knew it was what I wanted, but I had no idea what was going on with her, if she wanted it at all. But I had to try.

Being stuck in the infirmary for days on end was getting unbearable. I couldn't be with everyone and I had no idea what was going on. Ara didn't come out of her room for a week, something must have caused that. But it was like I was living in a different world.

Today was her birthday, and being aware of the plan to give her a big celebration since the beginning, I was allowed to attend. Jin and Hoseok were very hesitant at first, but agreed when I said I wouldn't dance.

Now, standing at the bottom of the stairs, with all the guests who were mingling, waiting for Ara to come down, I felt like throwing up. I hadn't really seen her since that emotional day in the infirmary. Yes, I saw her when Yoongi had taken her out of the house but that was brief, and it felt impersonal. Like she was thinking of someone else entirely.

I looked to my right and saw Jungkook looking equally, if not more nervous than I looked. I wasn't sure why, other than maybe he still had a crush on her, but he wouldn't do that to me, I'm sure.

Right behind Jungkook was Yoongi, scowling at a glass of liquor. I hadn't spoken to him since the incident with him and Ara, and to be honest I was still a little mad. He had risked her life for some stupid cake for the party.

Shaking my angry thoughts away I looked back down at the box in my hand. Just looking at it made my heart jump in my chest. This was crazy, but I was willing to do crazy, if it was with her.

The room quieted and some gasps were heard. I looked up at the top of the stairs and saw Madeline in a nice black dress, but no one was really looking at her, but next to her.

She looked beyond beautiful.

Ara stood at the top of the steps, looking at everyone below with shock and awe on her face. Then she smiled at Madeline, and back down at the crowd. She looked around, and her eyes finally met mine.

The last time we were alone, she told me she still loved me.

Now, looking down at the box in my hand, I can only hope that's still true.

-

Yoongi's POV

I threw back the last of my whiskey and set the glass down at the little table. The people mulling around the house made me sick, all of them in my personal space. Most of them didn't even know Ara, they knew Namjoon or one of the other guys. But Namjoon knew Ara didn't have a normal childhood, so she didn't have the chances even he had to make friends.

She would like this.

I can't help but think about how much she would enjoy herself at a big grand party, and I would much rather be anywhere but here. Or how she was far more open with her emotions than me, even when she was closed off, she wore them on her sleeve. She was forgiving, where I had grudges, she was full of life, where I sucked it out of everything.

-

"Stop thinking of the differences as bad."

-

Madeline's words ring in my head and I want to rip my ears off.

Fuck her, she doesn't know anything.

-

"You're both stupid."