Forty Four

Everything that happened after I pulled the trigger seemed like a dream. Like none of it really happened.

My father didn't fall to the floor with a thud, blood pooling around his head.

Jungkook didn't get splattered with his blood and did not look at me in horror.

Namjoon didn't tackle me to the ground as the gunfire began again.

And Madeline didn't breathe her last breath in the arms of Yoongi, who was now screaming in agony.

Except all of that did happen.

It was all real. Far too real.

"Madeline!" Yoongi screeches next to me and Namjoon, who's still on top of me.

"Yoongi you need to get cover!" Hoseok yells from where he is with Jimin. Yoongi wasn't listening though, honestly I barely comprehended it with where my mind was.

From my vantage point on the ground, I was only a few feet away from my father, watching his blood get closer and closer to me.

I shot him in the head; knowing I wouldn't miss. He was going to hurt, maybe even kill Jungkook; I knew that. That's why I did it in the first place. To save Jungkook. Why I couldn't do it for the others was something that was eating at the back of my mind. But my focus right now was simple.

I'd just killed a man.

Not just any man, my father.

I kind of felt like throwing up. The one thing I swore I'd never do, I did. And my first kill wasn't someone I didn't know, but the man who raised me. And no matter how terrible he was, that fact was never going to sit well with me; not for as long as I lived.

"Namjoon get Ara over here!" Jimin yells, seeing us still lying on the ground. I hadn't been shot yet, thanks to Namjoon, but I couldn't say the same about him.

I estimate he's taken three shots, just from the sounds he's made. With every agonizing groan of pain I knew he'd been hit, and it made my heart sink even more every time. I could only hope he hadn't been hit somewhere crucial.

"For fucks sake," I hear someone mutter. I look up and see a seemingly angry Jungkook. He rushes to Namjoon and I, pulling him off of me and quickly shielding my body with his as he helps me up and behind a pillar. I watch Jimin run and grab Namjoon, taking him to safety as well.

Suddenly I feel hands cupping my face and I'm turned around so I'm facing Jungkook. He's looking deep into my eyes, breathing hard, the angry look from before gone. I couldn't read the look on his face now, it was a mixture of everything. Sadness, concern, hope, love...

Love.

Oh my god.

I'm-

"Are you okay?" He asks me, cutting off my thoughts. I nod my head in a daze, my heart racing now. "I can't believe you did that," he shakes his head. "Why'd you do that?"

Because I'm in love with you.

"I don't know..." I whisper, but it doesn't sound convincing at all, even to myself. Jungkook gives me a side smile, a knowing look in his eyes.

"You know," he brushes a piece of hair behind my ear. "But it's okay," he smiles and  it light up his whole face. Butterflies start to rise in my stomach at the sight. "You don't have to tell me yet."

"Let me go!"

Yoongis screams make Jungkook and I jump apart. We peer out from behind the pillar and see Hoseok dragging him away from Madeline's body.