Chapter 20

Connor's POV:

"CONNOR MURPHY WHAT WAS GOING THROUGH YOUR HEAD?" Dad yells at me, I simply sigh and choose to ignore him.

"See he's turning into a teenager already, Cynthia" He says to mom, she sighs.

"Connor listen to your father please" Mom says.

"No" I reply.

"Connor now please" Mom says, her tone getting more strict.

"I was defending myself" I reply, Dad sighs and comes over to sit next to me on the couch.

"You didn't have to punch them, Connor" Dad says.

"Well how else would I have defended myself huh?"

"Use words" Mom says while putting some clothes into the laundry hamper.

"They would have ignored me if I did" I reply, mom shakes her head.

"You wouldn't have gotten suspended as easily if you used words, now I have to go put these clothes in the wash, Larry please talk to him" Mom says while heading to the laundry room, I look over at dad, I can tell he's disappointed.

"You're grounded"

"WHAT?" I reply.

"Connor it's the only way you'll learn"

"Grounded for how long?"

"A week"

"A week! Did you even talk to mom about this? You can't just-"

Dad cuts me off. "I talked to her, we both agree this is fair punishment"

"No it's not"

"Connor just trust your mom and I on this ok?"

"Look let's face it, what you're trying to do to help me isn't working so why don't you just give up?"

"Connor we're not gonna give up on trying to help you"

"Well you sure as hell should"

"Young man we do not accept those words in this house, I don't want your sister to have a bad influence"

"She won't, oh my god can you guys just leave me alone?"

"Young man you need to learn not to talk back to your parents"

"Oh yeah? Well I think maybe you deserve it since you're punishing me like this"

"It's only for the best Connor"

"Fuck you dad" I reply and storm upstairs, I look over to see Zoe peeking her head out her room door.

"C-Connor" She whispers, I can barely hear her.

"What do you want?"

"I-I just wanted to make sure you were ok"

"Well I'm fine" I snap back then head to my room and slam the door behind me.

No one needs to worry about me, and why would they worry? They all seem to hate me anyway.