Chapter 37

Connor's POV:

It's crazy how a few months ago I didn't even know him, well I mean I did I just didn't talk to him that much. He was more of like an acquaintance than he was a friend.

I look over to see Miguel politely sitting on my bed on his phone, his legs slow swinging back and forth.

"So..." I say, Miguel looks up at me.

"S-sorry I was on my phone it's just-" Miguel replies.

"Look whatever it is I don't care, it's fine" I tell him.

"Oh... ok" He replies, looking down at his feet, still swinging back and forth.

"You know the movie starts at 7:00 we better go soon" Miguel says.

I look over at my clock to see it's almost 7:00.

I almost forgot about the movie, we planned on going a while ago but I guess it wasn't the first thing on my mind.

"Right" I say, I grab my phone and stick it in my empty hoodie pocket.

I head downstairs and Miguel follows behind, no one is home and that's the way I like it. My family doesn't even know I have a friend and I don't even care. Of course neither of us can drive yet so I've decided to use a different source of transportation other than my parents, an Uber. Normally they don't allow anyone under the age of 18 to use an Uber here but I look like I'm 18 so what the heck why not just lie once in a while?

"Are you sure what we're doing is ok? Do your parents know?" Miguel says, I shake my head.

"No but they don't need to, it's just a one time only thing anyway"

"But if we get caught-" I cut him off.

"Miguel we're not gonna get caught, I'll make sure of it and besides it's so easy to lie about things like this around here" I say.

"I guess..." Miguel replies, I can tell he's still nervous about this.

I get the notification on my phone that the Uber is here, I head out the front door and Miguel follows. I climb into the back seat of the Uber.

"Joe?" The Uber driver asks, I nod.

I couldn't use my real name when signing up for this thing, if I did I'd be way too easy to track me down.

"Where to?" The driver asks.

"Ramsay Theater please" I say.

The car starts and the Uber driver doesn't say anything else, Miguel scoots over and whispers into my ear.

"Why'd you use a fake name?"

"If I used my real one it would be too easy to track me down, this way we won't be tracked down and they'll just be glad I paid them" I say.

"You sure?"

"Positive"

Miguel sits back and stays quiet for the rest of the ride.

~~~

Once we get out of the car I pay the Uber driver on my phone. I put my phone in my pocket and follow Miguel into the theater, we purchase our tickets and head up to get snacks.

"So how do you feel about sharing?" Miguel asks.

"Sure, I mean it does save money" I say.

"So a large popcorn, you like butter?" I nod, Miguel smiles.

"Good, if you didn't that'd be an issue" Miguel laughs.

"I'll pay" I say, Miguel shakes his head.

"You already paid for the tickets and the ride here Connor, let me do this" Miguel replies.

I look at Miguel and give a little smile, I can see him start to blush a little.

Holy shit. He's gay.

"Well I'm gonna go get the popcorn" Miguel says.

Miguel walks off, I wait for him by the soda dispensers. Miguel comes over with a large popcorn in one hand and two empty soda cups in the other, I grab one from him.

"What soda do you want?" I ask.

"You really don't have to do that for me" He replies.

"Too late, what soda?"

"Dr. Pepper, it's my favorite"

"No way it's mine too"

I fill up Miguel's cup to the brim and do the same to mine.

~~~

We're in the middle of the movie and I've basically already taken most of the popcorn. I look over to see Miguel relaxing in a reclined seat, I smile. I lay back in mine and start to enjoy the rest of the movie. Suddenly I feel a hand wrap around mine, I look over to see that Miguel's fingers are intertwined with my own.

Does he even realize what he's doing. Should I pull away? No, I don't want to hurt him and after all I never said I didn't have feelings for him.

~~~

Once the movie is over the lights start to turn back on, Miguel looks over at me and then our hands, his face turns bright red.

"Oh uhh s-sorry I didn't-" I cut him off.

"It's fine" I say.

"Really it's not, I mean our school doesn't even allow this stuff"

"Fuck school rules, we can do whatever we want"

"But Connor"

"Shut up, we're not gonna hide ourselves just because of some dumb school rules"

Miguel looks at me then quickly looks at the ground, I wrap my arm around him.

"Look we just have to keep this a secret and no one needs to know, we can still be happy. I'm not gonna let any school rules ruin this relationship"