Chapter 25

Jared's POV:

Today is audition day for our school musical and I could not be more terrified than I am at this very moment. I'm like Evan, my hands are shaking and I'm starting to sweat as we line up to audition. Evan is silently glancing over the song and his lines, you can tell he's worse than me though, sweat is dripping from his head and his hands are shaking violently.

Poor Evan.

Suddenly the line moves forward and I'm on deck, which is basically a fancy term for I'm on the verge of hell. Evan is right behind me, more terrified than ever. I turn around and pat him on the shoulder.

"Hey Hansen it'll be ok, I'll be hoping and praying that you don't die up there" I say, Evan is still trembling.

"Uhh yeah thanks Jared.." Evan says.

"NEXT" The director, Ms. Diction, says. I walk up to the tape spot that's marked on the ground and look over at Ms. Diction, her wrinkles are definitely prominent and her big nose sticks out like a sore thumb. Her curly hair is tied in a tight bun in the back.

"Name" She says in a nasty kind of voice.

"Jared Kleinman" I reply, she looks at me but doesn't even smile and just plays the track. I begin to sing.

"I've got a crow! I'm the cleverest fellow ''twas ever my fortune to know; I taught a trick to my shadow to stick to the tip of my toe I've got a crow!"

"STOP" Ms. Diction yells.

Jesus, no wonder she's never been married.

"Lines please"

I do as she says and say the prepared lines for the audition, once I'm done I run off, I'm not taking the chance to be yelled at again. I watch from the corner as Evan comes and does his audition, as I expected he's trembling even more than before and sweat is probably pouring out of every section of his body.

"NAME" Ms. Diction says.

"E-Evan Hansen" Evan replies quietly.

Ms. Diction plays the track and Evan sings, or well attempts to. He doesn't sound that bad actually.

~~~

Once Evan and I are done with our auditions we wait for his mom to pick us up, Heidi invited my mom and I over to dinner tonight for I don't know what reason but whatever it is I don't care as long as we get food.

"S-She posts the results tomorrow night" Evan says, I nod.

"Yeah and we're probably not gonna get in so you have nothing to worry about" I reply.

"But what if we do?"

"Then fuck, but until then we're fine"

"But what if-" Evan is cut off by his mom yelling for us.

"EVAN, JARED COME ON" Heidi yells, Evan and I come running into the car.

"So... boys how was it?" She asks.

"Fine" Evan replies, I just nod my head in agreement.

We totally failed that audition.

Once we get to Evan's house my mom is already sitting at the table and the food is already set, I come and sit next to her and Evan sits next to me. Then Heidi comes to join us.

"I've invited the Kleinman's here today in celebration of the boys and their auditions" Heidi says, my mom smiles.

"Yes and that was very nice of you Heidi" Mom says while taking a bite of her chicken.

"So boys do you think you'll get any parts?" Heidi says, Evan and I look at each other for a few seconds before I speak.

"Maybe ensamble" I say.

"Ensamble is good" Mom says.

"Oh Heidi I have some exciting news to share with you and Evan" Mom says.

"What is it?" Heidi replies.

"Well I wanted to invite you and Evan to Jared's bar mitzvah, we'd love for you to come"

I just nod.

Shit.

"Oh we'd love to! Just email me the information and we'd be glad to attend" Heidi replies, Evan nods his head.

Well fuck.

~~~

I open my laptop to find an email from Ms. Diction, I read the topic.

'Peter Pan Audition Results'

Well this isn't going to be any good.

I open it and continue to read it.

'Hello students! This is Ms. Diction and down below I have listened who was cast in this year's musical. Don't worry if you weren't cast this year, there's always next year!'

She sounds so much nicer in her emails.

I scroll down until I see my name, it's listed under 'caption hook (lead)' and Evan's is listed under 'lost boy (ensamble)'.

I refresh the page.

No no no this must be wrong.

The list is still the same as it was before.

Well shit, we're screwed.