[Chapter Nineteen]

It was the morning after the almost life or death situation down in the tunnels, and each of them woke up still pretty shaken up by the night before's events. While the girls walked to school together, Nina was rambling on and on about the chasm and the hopscotch test. Amelia decided she needed a break, so she walked ahead of them and headed to the lounge room to chill before class.

She walked behind the stage hoping to get some peace and quiet. She set an alarm on her phone, just in case she fell asleep, and then laid back, closing her eyes. Eddie walked behind the curtain, to the stage, a few minutes later, sitting next to Amelia. "Good morning sunshine," Amelia groaned in response. She hadn't gotten a lot of sleep the night before, and she was not eager to carry a conversation with anyone, even Eddie.

Eddie laughed and sat down next to her. "What's up with you this morning?" "I didn't get much sleep last night," she yawned, sitting up and resting her head on his shoulder. "Maybe you should look into getting some medication or something that will help you sleep." "Yeah maybe, it's mainly because I'm going to bed late or getting up super early. It's just, when I do sleep, I have these weird dreams." "What kind of dreams," he asked her, pushing for answers that Amelia wasn't sure she wanted to give up.

Amelia sat there for a moment, trying to figure out how to explain them, when they heard two very familiar, loud voices, coming from the other side of the curtain. "Shh, I hear Joy and Patricia," Amelia shushed Eddie, pressing her ear to the curtain, so she could eavesdrop.

"I feel bad for her," Amelia sighed as she listened to Joy go on and on about how she liked Fabian and how she really believed she had a chance with him. "She believes so much that Fabian really wrote that poem for her," Amelia mentioned, talking about the poem that Fabian had written for Nina. "Who'd he write it for," Eddie asked, not knowing about Fabian and Nina's little flirtmance.

"It was for Nina, but he threw it away before he could give it to her, because he was embarrassed by it." Eddie looked at her confused, "Then how did Joy get it?" "Jerome found it and put it on her clipboard, knowing it would cause trouble. She's been going crazy over it ever since." "Seems like Fabian needs to grow a pair and tell Joy he doesn't like her like that." "I agree, but this is Fabian we're talking about. He'll tell Joy he likes Nina and not her when pigs fly."

Once they heard Joy say goodbye, Eddie walked out from behind the curtain to go and flirt with Patricia. Amelia smiled, not sure she'd ever seen him so smitten over a girl before. Amelia watched from a crack in the curtain and smiled as she saw them going back and forth with each other.

Amelia decided she was don eavesdropping and walked outside to get some fresh air before class. When she got outside, she saw a guy standing on the corner of the school, eating a sand-which. "This must be Roper," she thought to herself. She walked over to him, planning on paying Jerome's debt off even though he told her not to.

"Hi, are you Roper," she asked as soon as she reached him. He looked down at her suspiciously, "Depends, who's asking?" "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm Jerome Clarke's friend. He's stuck taking a test this morning and asked me to come and give you the money he owes you. How much is it again? I want to make sure he gave me the right amount," she lied as she searched through her bag for her wallet.

She handed the money over and went to walk away but stopped and turned back toward the 'detective.' "Oh, and he wanted me to tell you thank you for all the work you did!" Roper nodded his head and walked off, but not before sending a text to Jerome, to tell him his debt had been paid.

****

The rest of the day went on agonizingly slow for Amelia. By the time the last bell had rung, Amelia was starting to fall asleep in her last class which was study hall. She quickly jumped up out of her seat and ran for the door, ready to go back to the house and jump into bed.