[Chapter Forty-Four]

Everyone gathered around in a circle, so they could play the ice breaker game Ms. Valentine had planned for them. Even though they all already knew each other's names, she wanted to play a name game as a way to help her learn theirs. The goal of the game was to say a person's name and then throw it to someone else, who would then throw it to the person whose name was said. So, when Nina said Amber's name and threw the ball to Jerome, he then said Alfie's name and threw the ball to Amber.

Amber caught the ball and accidentally said Patricia's name, quickly remembering that Patricia couldn't speak, as the ball was in the air and headed for Alfie. Alfie giggled and yelled out Fabians name as he chucked the ball at Patricia's head. She caught it and threw it to Fabian quickly, before anyone could comment about how she hadn't said a name.

Fabian sat there shocked, trying to rack his brain for a name to say. Because of the punishment Nina had given him, due to Senkhara, he couldn't remember anyone's name, not even some of his housemates, like Joy for example. "You, you need to say their name; that's the game," Ms. Valentine told Patricia as Patricia pointed over at Joy.

"Pam," Fabian said as he threw the ball toward Joy. Joy caught it and it was evident by the look on her face that she was hurt. "What," she asked as she tried to figure out why Fabian had just called her the wrong name. "I'm Joy," she stuttered before throwing the ball back at Fabian and rushing out of the room, tears already falling down her face.

Patricia ran out after her while the rest of them sat in awkward silence, well except for Jerome who had let out a small laugh. "If I didn't treasure this book so much, I would chuck it at you," Amelia scolded as she rolled her eyes at Jerome's insensitive behavior.

****

It was the end of the day and Nina, Amelia and Amber were going to visit Nina's gran in the hospital. "How's she doing," Amelia asked as they walked down the hall toward her grans room. "I don't know. I just hope she's doing better than the last time I saw her."

Once they reached the room, they looked in through her window to check and make sure she was awake. Sure enough, Nina's gran was sitting upright in her bed, glasses on and a book in her lap. "Well, I'd say she's doing a lot better," Amelia smiled as Nina burst through the door.

"Gran," she yelled as she ran over to her bed and gave her a big hug. "You look so much better," she told her as Amelia and Amber walked in behind her. "Oh, Nina darling, and Amber and Amelia dears, how are you two?" "I think I'm growing a bunion," Amber complained at the same time Amelia said she was doing great. "That's wonderful to hear dear, and Amber I'm not surprised with those heels. You need a comfy pair of flats like mine," Nina's gran told her as she pointed to her shoes on the ground.

Amber smiled and picked them up, "Wow, these puppies are fierce." Amelia looked at her strangely, knowing that Amber would never call those shoes fierce, but then she realized it must be a part of the curse. Since she was growing old her opinions were also changing.

Amelia watched as Amber changed into the flats and then sat back to listen to Nina and her gran talk. "So, did you get the test results back yet?" "Inconclusive," Nina's gran sighed as she shook her head. "They wanna keep me in for observation." "Is this designer," Amber interrupted as she picked up a sweater that was lying on the back of one of the hospital chairs. "Not the time," Amelia scolded as she shook her head in disbelief.

"What do you think," Amber asked them as she put the beige sweater on. "I think it's very practical Amber," Nina sarcastically commented. "Sometimes practical's good," Amber smiled before pausing for a second, "Did I really just say that?" Amelia shook her head, "Yes, yes you did." "It's no fun growing old," Nina's gran sighed as Amber took off the sweater.