[Chapter Thirty-Seven]

Amelia woke up and all she could think of was about who could have been in the tunnels the night before. She was almost positive that it was Victor, but Nina and the others believed it had been Jerome. Amelia didn't understand why they all thought it was Jerome. I mean he had no idea about Sibuna, or Nina being the Chosen One, or any of the mysterious that went on in Anubis house, right? Little did Amelia know, Jerome was a big part of all the mysteries that had happened the year before.

****

Once they were all finished their breakfast, Amelia grabbed her bag and headed over to Amun with Jerome and Alfie. They were talking about everything that had gone on the night before with Jerome outside their room. He told them how Henry the goose had given up the gem and how Mara convinced him to wash it off, causing them to drop it down the sink drain. "Oh, so that's why you were upstairs." Jerome shook his head yes and continued to tell them about how Vera helped him get it out, but then told him she couldn't find it.

They finished their conversation when they reached the school. They headed off to their first class, all of them sitting down in their regular seats. Amelia noticed that Jerome looked out of it, and went to ask him if he was okay, when Michael walked in and started to speak to her. "Hey, did you finish your project," he asked as he sat down. "Yeah I finished it last week which is crazy for me because I'm known for my procrastinating." "I just finished it this morning," he sighed. "Well good luck. I hope the procrastinating gods were on your side," she laughed, turning her attention to Ms. Andrews.

****

Once class was over, the trio headed out to their lockers to switch out their books. They were currently standing around Alfie's. Alfie looked over at Jerome, "You were acting weird all last lesson. I don't know, it's almost as if you were concentrating." "Take that back," Jerome scowled. "It's the gem," he sighed. Amelia slightly rolled her eyes, "Of course it is. I swear that's the only thing on your mind these days." Alfie chuckled, "What, the one your dad stole, my goose ate, and Mara washed down the pipe?" Jerome nodded his head yes.

"Except, there is no way that gem could get all the way down." Jerome paused for a second before a look of realization appeared on his face. He looked as if he had just solved a puzzle. "Vera- Vera looked before I could; her back was to me!" "You think she stole it?" "Oh, Jerome, what would Vera want with your gem?" Jerome sighed in frustration, "I don't know, all I'm saying is it's the only thing that makes sense right now."

Before Amelia or Alfie could shut down his theory, Nina and Amber walked over to them, interrupting their conversation. Neither of them spoke a word, they just grabbed Jerome and dragged him off. "I wonder what that was all about," Amelia asked Jerome as they watched the girls interrogate Jerome. "With those two, it could be anything," Alfie laughed. He shut his locker and walked away, leaving Amelia behind, waiting for the girls to be done with Jerome.

Once she saw Jerome walk away, she walked over to the girls, immediately asking them about what had just went down with Jerome. "Hey, what was the interrogation with Jerome about?" "We are almost positive he was the one in the tunnels last night," Nina informed her. "That's impossible. He was with Mara all night and then upstairs with Vera looking for something he had lost," Amelia told them, trying her best to clear her best friend's name.

"Maybe, but Poppy is wearing Patricia's lost amulet and Jerome just admitted to giving it to her." "That's impossible," Amelia muttered, mostly to herself, again. "Well it's possible. We saw Poppy with our own two eyes, wearing the amulet. She told us Jerome gave it to her." "How much clearer can it get," Amber asked her. "All I know is that we have to get the amulet back or else we're doomed."