[Chapter Twenty-Four]

"Psst," Amelia heard some whisper behind her. She turned around and saw Eddie poking his head out of his and Fabian's room. "Amelia," he whisper yelled, motioning for her to come over to him. "What do you need?" "There should be a stack of pancakes in the kitchen, can you get them for me? Victor confiscated them and I'm hungry," he whined.

Amelia chuckled and walked to the kitchen, grabbing the plate full of pancakes and syrup for Eddie. She handed the plate over to him, "Here you go." Eddie thanked her and started to close his door, but she stopped it with her foot. "Wait, Eddie is anyone else home?" He shook his head yes, already stuffing his face with food. "Yeah, I saw your buddy Jerry come home about ten minutes ago. He went straight to his room; seemed pretty upset."

"Thanks Eddie," she smiled, starting to walk away and toward Jerome's room, when Eddie called out to her. "Oh, I never got the chance to tell you earlier, but you looked really nice tonight. A step up from those jeans you wore to our dance." Amelia smiled and shook her head, "Don't get used to it. Now go have your midnight feast."

Amelia left Eddie, walking a little further down the hall to knock on Jerome's door. When no one answered, she decided to just walk in. Jerome was sitting on his bed reading what looked to be another letter. He instinctively hid it under himself when he heard someone walk in. He quickly lifted his head and sighed in relief when he saw it was just Amelia, and not anyone else. He pulled the letter out and placed it on his dresser, sitting up so he could talk to her.

"Hey," "Do you ever wait for someone to answer the door, before just walking in," Jerome laughed. She shook her and laid down on his bed. "What if I was changing?" "Then I would have ran out screaming bloody murder," she joked. Jerome let out a small chuckle, turning his body around so that he was laying down next to her.

"Was that letter from your mother," Amelia immediately asked, wanting to know everything about the recent mysterious letter, and about what happened with Mara and Poppy earlier. He shook his head, "No, it was, it was from my father." Amelia sat up surprised, "Wait what? Your father wrote you again?" Jerome nodded his head and sat up. Amelia reached over and grabbed one of his pillows, placing it in her lap, so that she could sit crisscross on the bed.

"What did it say?" "He wants me to come visit him at the prison." "Do you want to go," she asked him. He took a second before answering, trying to figure out what he wanted to do. "No, yes? I don't really know. It's all too confusing," he answered the best way he could. "Has Poppy seen the letter yet?" "No, but she knows about it. Mara had it and gave it to her, but I took it before she could read it." "Wow," Amelia whispered, not really sure what to say or how to react.

After a few minutes of silence, Jerome decided to ask Amelia a question about the situation, still not sure what to do. "What do you think I should do?" Amelia sighed, trying to think about what she would want someone to tell her if this was her situation. "I think you should do whatever's most comfortable for you Jerome." "What would I even say to him," he let out a loud sigh, falling back on his bed. Amelia leaned back so she was lying next to him again. "I guess it would be more about listening and trying to hear him out about why he left you guys."

"If it was your father what would you do?" "Run away," she joked, that being the first thought to cross her mind. Jerome looked over at her, a look of seriousness on his face. "I mean other than run away. If it wasn't so life threatening to meet with him, would you?" Amelia laid there, letting Jerome's question sink in. It took her a while before she finally spoke up again.

"I guess yes. I'd want to hear him out. Even if I've heard the same excuses over and over again, I'd like to at least try, at least try and find some little sliver of humanity left in him. I think at this point though, with everything that has happened, I feel like I owe him nothing. Even without the dangerous aspect of it all, if he wanted to meet with me today, I probably wouldn't go. But then again, I've had more contact with my father over the years than you have with yours. Also, your dad has never tried to talk to you about why he left. I mean, aren't you the least bit curious about what landed him in prison?"