[Chapter Twenty]

"Amelia wake up, you're going to be late." Nina shook Amelia, trying to wake her up from her deep sleep. Amelia sat up, looking over at her clock on her dresser. "Crap, why didn't my alarm go off," Amelia yelled, rushing out of her bed and into the bathroom, grabbing her uniform on the way out the door. She quickly got dressed and ran downstairs where the last few people were heading out the front door.

Amelia grabbed a banana and a biscuit, shoving the biscuit in her mouth as she sprinted to the school. Nina, Amber and Fabian met her at her locker, while she sorted through the books she needed and didn't need for her first few classes. As soon as they reached her they started talking about the hopscotch obstacle.

"Hopscotch is like dancing; if you can dance you can play hopscotch." Fabian and Amelia both shared a worried look, "I can't dance," they said at the same time. "I've been looking up hopscotch online and it goes way back. There's dozens of different kinds, grids, loads of different versions of the rules," Nina told them. "It makes no sense, hopscotch? It seems kind of crazy for a middle-aged master mind doesn't it?" "Well he did have a little girl, didn't he?" "Yeah, little girls love hopscotch."

Fabian got this look in his eye like he had just figured something out. "Of course, the dollhouse." "We'll stake it out after dinner," Nina told them. "I guess I won't have to do that research anymore," Amelia laughed.

****

Mr. Sweet wanted the upperclassmen to help set up for the ball, especially their class because Joy was the one coordinating it, so they all stayed after school to help. Joy and Fabian were talking on the stage about the speech he was supposed to make at the ball. Nina and Amber were working on setting up some tables, while Amelia, Jerome and Alfie were setting up the sound system.

"Joy said uh medium volume, medium base," Alfie told them. The trio looked at each other and started to laugh, "Nah." "Let's at least try not to burst people's eardrums," Amelia laughed as Alfie messed with the settings. He messed around with it for a few moments before he found the perfect high volume.

"So, you excited for this dance Amelia," Alfie questioned her. Amelia answered back with a loud groan and eye roll. "Absolutely not, especially not the whole dressing up part." "Didn't go to any big dances out in America?" "There was one dance I went to last year, but I literally went in a nice shirt and some pants." "What are you going to do about this dance," Alfie asked, not knowing that Amber was going to be picking something for her. "Amber's picking out some dresses for me and I'm so scared." The boys started to laugh, "Good luck," Jerome laughed as he patted Amelia on the back.

"I'm leaving you guys," she stuck her tongue out at the boys and walked over to Amber and Nina. She reached them just as a table dropped on Amber's foot. She started to scream and began to jump up and down. "Ow, ow, ow," she screamed. While she was screaming, the microphone on the stage started to malfunction and then the lights flickered off. "Well this is just perfect."

****

It was dinner time and the topic of tonight's dinner was Amber's hurt leg. "It'll be alright on the night though, right," Nina whispered, talking about the night they were going to have to do the hopscotch test. "You'd have to invent a dance to cater for this, and what about the hopscotch?" "I'm sure your leg will feel better by the time we choose to do it, and in time for the dance." Amelia stood up, having forgotten her phone in their bedroom. "I'll be right back."

When Amelia walked back down to the dining room, everyone was in a different seat than normal. Fabian was reluctantly sitting next to Joy, Eddie was sitting next to Nina and Jerome was sitting next to the seat where Amelia usually sat. "What, are we playing musical chairs tonight?"