Convincing The Son

In the morning, a disturbance outside Arthit's room stirred him from his peaceful slumber. The clock read only 7 am when he roused from his restful sleep. Blinking his eyes open, he tried to shake off the remnants of sleep. The muffled voices outside his closed door indicated an ongoing conversation. As he prepared to rise from his bed, a knock echoed through the room. Slowly, he pushed himself upright and moved to open the door. His groggy eyes struggled to focus on the figures before him. It turned out to be his parents, who had arrived with something that could potentially alter the course of his life. As he attempted to form words, his mother reached out, her touch coaxing him inside. Following behind, his father entered the room as well. Taking seats on the couch, they created an atmosphere brimming with anticipation, leaving Arthit to wonder about the reason for this early-morning visit.

Meanwhile, on the other side, Kongpob was almost ready for his day at his father's company. Impeccably dressed and looking every bit the part of a dashing professional, he prepared to leave his room, clutching a bag and a few files. However, his father made his way downstairs and approached Kongpob just before he could make his exit.

"Son, there's something important I need to discuss with you. You can take the day off from the office," his father said.

Kongpob's mother had passed away when he was merely seven years old, leaving his father to single-handedly raise him. His father's unexpected suggestion sent a ripple of tension through him. His mind raced, trying to ascertain the issue at hand. His father gestured for him to descend the stairs, leading them to the living room where they both took seats on the couch.

In Arthit's house

There, in Arthit's house, he was also in tension that what is the situation. His mom tried to start the conversation, and at a moment she started.

"Son, there's been a matter we've kept from you, thinking it would be best not to burden you. Our company faced a setback due to the loss of a major project last year." Arthit grappled with his emotions, his mind whirring as he tried to gauge his reaction. His father spoke next, his words a reassuring balm.

"Arthit, don't worry. Our company has since recovered and is doing well, thanks to the assistance of a close friend." Pausing briefly, his father continued, "This friend of mine has been very helpful in our difficult times." 

Arthit's apprehension deepened as he grappled with the unknown. His mother took the reins again, her words carrying a sense of gravity. 

"While we're aware that you're dedicated to forging your own path and focusing on your career, we also understand that relationships can play an important role in one's life." She glanced at her husband, a silent understanding passing between them, "But you can consider a relationship. We're suggesting you consider starting a relationship."

" Here I am verifying that both Arthit's and Kongpob's parents know that their children are different and they are not against it."

Arthit felt as though his thoughts were swirling in a tempest, threatening to overpower his awareness. Slowly, he began to speak, his voice wavering with disbelief, " Ma Pa, what are you saying? You know very well. I have recently started to look for an internship after completing college to pursue my career and you are telling me to marry someone."

In Kongpob's home

Over at Kongpob's residence, a similar conversation was unfolding. Kongpob had taken great care in grooming himself for the day, projecting a refined image. As he prepared to leave his room, holding his bag and the files, his father made his presence known, approaching him from the staircase.

"Pa, what's going on? Why the sudden day off request? Is there anything wrong?" Kongpob's father sat on the couch, intertwining his fingers with a sense of gravity. "I have a dear friend, and our relationship runs deep. We're thinking of taking it to the next level."

The gears turned in Kongpob's mind, a swirl of questions and thoughts like Is Pa seeing someone? Is he implying he has feelings for his friend? Are they planning to be together, and Pa is consulting me? Is he suggesting a marriage, perhaps, and I'll be left alone?

His father's words pulled him from his mental labyrinth, "My friend has a child around your age. We thought it might be fitting for you to meet and consider a relationship."

Relieved that his father wasn't planning to leave him, Kongpob's mind momentarily stilled, "What... What.. what did I hear? I... I'm meant to be in a... relationship?" Kongpob's thoughts halted, frozen in that moment, "Pa, wait, I... you're suggesting I be with someone...?"

Kongpob's thoughts were stopped for a moment and were frozen. He said, " Pa, I...I .. you .. you know I am not ready for this yet. I can't be married right at this stage. I recently started working in our company and I don't think I am ready to be in any kind of relationship right now."

Arthit's home

"Son, we're not suggesting you get married immediately. We're simply asking you to think of entering a relationship," his mother interjected, her words an attempt to quell the mounting tension.

"But ma, I am not ready yet. And please don't force me the do anything. I won't appreciate that."

At that moment his father intervened in the conversation," If you won't do as I say, you have to join the company and I will not allow you to work in another company to pursue your career."

"Arthit doesn't want to work in his father's company. He wants to stand on his own in his life."

Arthit was swept by a wave of anger, confusion, and sadness. His father knew that this was the only way to convince his son to do something.

To temper the atmosphere, his mother sought to reassure him, saying, "Son, it's for your better. We will not do anything to harm you and your life. You can just meet your father's friend's child. If you are convinced after the meeting then we'll think further"

Not wanting to engage in an argument and unwilling to forgo his dream of building a career independently, Arthit reluctantly agreed.

Kongpob's home

His father said," If you are agreed it will be very beneficial to our company. Both companies can work together And it's also time for you to find a partner."

Kongpob said," But.. pa I don't think I can handle a relationship right now."

" No but, no excuses, you will meet the family and their child. I am not telling you to marry today. I am just trying to tell you to just meet and it's final."

Much like Arthit, Kongpob found himself acquiescing. However, the core fear embedded in their minds was the potential introduction of a girl into their lives. Nevertheless, they understood that their parents would never act in a way that might wound their feelings. Still, unease prevailed in their hearts.