Big Mistake

Arthit's pov

My stomach was gnawing at me like an angry beast. Glancing at the clock, I realized it was already way past lunchtime – half past twelve, to be exact. Kong and I had overslept, and now I was paying the price. My irritability was climbing by the second; it was almost like a rule that if I didn't get food in my empty stomach, I'd turn into a grumpy mess. And let me tell you, I was definitely living up to that reputation right now.

Kong had woken up before me, all fresh and ready to face the day. The sight of him all put together while I was still in my morning daze made my irritation levels skyrocket. Seriously, couldn't he have woken me up earlier? Did he not know that I was starving? Didn't he realize that food was the only thing that could save me from the growing storm of grumpiness inside me?

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I complained, slumping into a chair at the dining table as Kong prepared some kind of breakfast magic in the kitchen.

His voice floated over from the other side of the counter. "Baby, you were exhausted after all the drama and tears from yesterday. I thought you needed some rest, so I didn't want to disturb you."

My frown deepened, if that was even possible. "But now I'm practically wasting away here. If you'd just woken me up earlier, I could've had breakfast by now," I whined, even stomping my foot for added emphasis.

Kong's head popped up, finally acknowledging my grumbling. "Hey, grumpy cat, I get that you're hungry, but this isn't the way to handle it. Sit down; I'm making pancakes for you." And just like that, he managed to diffuse some of my irritation by promising pancakes. Who could stay mad when there were pancakes involved?

I complied and sat back down, eagerly watching as Kong placed two plates of pancakes in front of me. As I attacked the food, I momentarily forgot all about my grievances. Kong's warning to eat slowly was lost on me as I practically inhaled half a pancake.

Kong chuckled at my eagerness. "Hey, slow down there. Pancakes aren't going anywhere."

"Ok ok I know. But eat slow."

I looked up at him with pleading eyes, a chunk of pancake still in my mouth. "But I'm starving," I mumbled through the food.

Kong chuckled again, and the rest of breakfast passed in a blur of conversation and more pancakes. Eventually, we cleared the dishes, and I made my way to our bedroom to get ready for the day.

After a rejuvenating shower and the usual struggle of picking out an outfit, I reentered the living room. Kong was on the couch, engrossed in a phone call. He looked up as I entered and covered the phone's speaker.

"Why are you all dressed up?" he asked, his attention now on me.

I shrugged, feeling a mix of excitement and guilt. "I'm heading out. I've got a movie date with the gang. Totally forgot to tell you yesterday in the middle of our epic fight."

"Wait there. We need to talk." And he put his phone on his ear.

Kong paused his conversation, speaking into the phone again. "Hold on a second, Kwanjai. Just follow the plan for today, and I'll be back in the office tomorrow. Call me if you need anything." The call ended, and Kong's focus returned to me.

"Ok so what did you say earlier?"

"Ummm, I'm going out for a movie with my friends."

Kong's response was not what I had anticipated. "And who said you're going without your bodyguards?"

"You can't be serious Kong." I blinked at him, my brain struggling to catch up with his words. "Wait, you're joking, right? I told you I'm not getting those bodyguards. We talked about this!"