Chapter 61

"Ready?" Luke asked as he looked up at the massive door that lead into Jabba's palace.

"Is that even a question?" Anakin returned. "Let's get this over with."

"Remember, Luke is the one doing the talking," Obi-Wan reminded his long time friend. "We don't want what happened last time we talked with Jabba to happen again."

"What happened last time?" Luke asked, curious.

"I may or may not have threatened Jabba at lightsaber point," Anakin said, coughing to hide a smile, remembering that particular mission with Ahsoka.

Luke held back a laugh: "Don't worry, we may yet be forced into that position."

"Well, let's see if diplomacy works first."

"Since when have you been so encouraging of diplomacy?" Obi-Wan questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Since it meant we'd be getting to the fun part faster," Anakin returned as he reached into the Force to trigger the door to open. "After you."

This time, Luke was unable to hold back a laugh.

***

The gigantic door to Jabba's palace rose noisily, revealing the silhouettes of three cloaked figures. Luke walked slightly in front with Anakin and Obi-Wan slightly behind him on either side. While they had been joking moments before, all three had become serious within a matter of moments. Both Anakin and Luke had their main focus centered on the Force presences of those they held most dear while Obi-Wan was more aware of the things closest to them.

If someone was to be the most tense, it was Anakin. Not only was he focusing on Leia's and Padmé's presences, but he was also keeping a very close eye on Luke and their surroundings. If anyone tried to approach his son, they'd be going through Anakin first. To anyone that did not know who they were and what was really going on, in other words, practically everyone, it appeared as though Luke was the leader of the group and that Anakin and Obi-Wan were his bodyguards.

None of them had either a lightsaber or blaster. Luke had been forced to go in weaponless while Anakin and Obi-Wan had hidden their lightsabers in a compartment in Artoo for later use in Aggressive Negotiations, assuming both Anakin and Luke got their wish. Neither were fans of Jabba's and both believed the galaxy as a whole would be better off without him.

Almost immediately upon the group's entering of the palace, two Gamorrean guards stepped up to block their path. Anakin raised a hand, pointing it at each of the guards, Force choking them and causing them to move to the side and out of their way. He released them as soon as their group had pasted by, ignoring the warning look sent his way by Obi-Wan.

Around the next corner, they were met by Bib Fortuna, who began speaking as soon as he reached the group of Jedi. None of them stopped and Bib was forced to reverse direction in mid sentence and follow Luke in order to continue the conversation.

"You must be the one called Skywalker. His Excellency will not see you," Bib was explaining.

"I will speak to Jabba now," Luke replied evenly, despite his nerves. They passed by some more Gamorreans who fell in step behind Anakin and Obi-Wan. Luke was not too ashamed to admit that he was becoming more and more grateful of the fact his father was right behind him. It may have been a childish instinct, but Luke just knew no harm would would come to him as long as Anakin was with him.

"The great Jabba has instructed me to tell you there will be no bargains—"

Luke suddenly stopped, looking Bib hard in the eyes as he raised a hand slightly and made a small turning motion: "You will take us to Jabba now."