Chapter 131

Obi-Wan sat in the Council chambers staring at the holoscan of Utapau that Anakin had brought with him for his report. There were only a handful of Jedi Master physically present, which did nothing to ease his nerves about the news.

Grievous had been found.

Sidious would probably reveal himself and soon, yet more than half of the Council was off of Coruscant. It was technically part of the plan of drawing the Sith out, but it did nothing to ease his nerves.

"Why Utapau?" Mace was asking. "A neutral system, of little strategic significance, and virtually no planetary defense force—"

"Perhaps that is itself the reason," Agen Kolar offered. "Easily taken, and their sinkhole-based culture can hide a tremendous number of droids from long-range scans."

"Our agents on Utapau have made no report of this," Ki-Adi-Mundi's holo stated as he frowned.

"They may be detained, or dead," Obi-Wan suggested, resisting his urge to wince at the statement.

"How could the Chancellor have come by this information when we know nothing about it?" Mace asked as he scowled at Anakin. Obi-Wan had to resist rubbing his temple. Just because Mace didn't like Anakin, didn't mean he at couldn't least try to get along with him....not that Anakin really tried hard in that respect either, but still.

"Clone Intelligence intercepted a partial message in a diplomatic pacet from the Chairman of Utapau," Anakin respond coolly. "They only managed to verify its authenticity within the past hour."

"Clone Intelligence reports to us."

"I beg your pardon, Master Windu, but that is no longer the case. The constitutional amendment that brings the Jedi Council under the Chancellor's Office also includes troops commanded by the Jedi. Palpatine is the Supreme Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic."

There was an unvoiced collected mental groan. Obi-Wan did not resist rubbing his temple this time. He, as was everyone else, had been unaware that all information they received was first being screened by Palpatine himself.

The Chancellor's power really was getting out of hand.

"Pointless it is, to squabble over jurisdiction," Yoda's holo said. "Act on this, we must."

"The Chancellor has requested that I assist Master Kenobi with the campaign," Anakin said. Obi-Wan could hear the slight hope in his friend's voice, along with the fact he knew that the likelihood of the Chancellor's request being fulfilled was lower than the chances of Sidious walking through the door to turn himself in.

"The Council will decide this," Mace told Anakin sternly. "Not the Chancellor."

"Besides you, my young friend, have extremely important duties here on Coruscant that require your full attention," Obi-Wan reminded him. Anakin expression told his old master that he was well aware.

***

"I don't like this."

It had been Anakin who had spoken. The Council Chamber was nearly empty and only Obi-Wan and Anakin remained, the later still being seated and running a hand over his face.

"It's what must be done, Anakin," Obi-Wan replied. "Besides, you need to be here, should Sidious reveal himself."

"Don't remind me," Anakin growled as he stood, heading for the door. Obi-Wan blinked.

"What happened?" he asked, almost not wanting to know the answer as he grabbed Anakin's arm and forced him to stop.

"I don't know what you're talking about."