Chapter 162

Time is irrelevant when you're unconscious. It passes by without you noticing or caring.

Luna didn't know how long she was unconscious.

She honestly didn't care.

She was living her memories all over again.

She was with Jacob, Will, and Theodore, being introduced to the wonderful world of Star Wars at age seven.

She was with Apollo, playing in G's house at nine.

She was with Sophie, telling the younger girl stories at ten.

She was on the roof, watching the solar eclipse that past August.

She was with Padmé, who was helping her with her studies.

She was with Obi-Wan, learning how to meditate.

She was with Anakin, learning how to fight, laughing, teasing, talking.

She was happy.

In the dark realms of unconsciousness, Luna could live whatever point in her life she wanted. She could pretend the bad things had never happened.

The problem was that she couldn't stay. Not forever.

No matter how much she wanted to.

And Luna wanted to. Badly.

Because she didn't know which reality she'd wake up in.

If Earth, a hospital or her father's clutches?

If in another galaxy, safety or prison?

This is what Luna fears the most: she is afraid of abandonment, of failure, of disappointment, of being wrong, of the unknown.

She is afraid of being a prisoner. She is afraid of being used. She is afraid of being loved.

She is afraid of loving.

So she leaves the question of whether or not she succeeded in stopping the Empire unanswered. She leaves the question of whether or not the galaxy she was in was dreamt up unanswered. She leaves the question of her safety unanswered.

She leaves the question of whether or not anyone cares about her unanswered.

Why?

Because it's easier to ignore the inevitable unknown than to face it head on.

The dark can be generous sometimes.

***

When Luna finally, slowly, floated back to the realms of consciousness, she still did not want to wake up.

But she couldn't keep herself in the safe dark abyss after a certain point.

And so, Luna was eventually forced to return to a relative awareness.

She was on a bed. It was cool and she could feel a blanket over her. Considering the chemical smell and bright lights, it was reasonable to assume she was in a hospital.

"Luna...." The voice sounded excited but concerned, not to mention miles away. Luna knew it from somewhere.

No one's ever around when I wake up in hospitals, she thought to herself confused, her thoughts running at a snail's pace.

"We should probably find a way to change that," the voice mutter low enough that Luna barely caught it. "Come on, Luna. You can do it." This time the voice was accompanied by a hand touching her forehead.

She felt a presence enter her mind. It was comforting, soothing. It felt like she was being held a warm embrace. It felt safe.

And it was very insistent in helping her to full awareness, despite the fact she wanted to go the opposite direction.