Chapter 98

"This is delicious," Obi-Wan said as they sat around the dining room table, eating. Luna nodded in agreement. While she didn't recognize half the stuff on the plate and had to force herself to try all of it, once again, new things weren't her thing, she had been pleasantly surprised at the taste. It was a million times better then what Luna usually ate for dinner, and a bonus was that there was plenty to go around.

"Thank you," Padmé replied, smiling. "I'm glad you like it."

Obi-Wan sighed. "I hate to be the one to begin this, but we need to discuss what's going on and what you two are planning to do when Padmé's pregnancy gets found out."

"You had to start with that question, didn't you?" Anakin asked, massaging his temple.

"How about we start with the simplest question. What did we manage to find out while we were in the future and how can we apply it to now?" Padmé asked.

"Well, the war ended the same day the Jedi were massacred and the Empire formed," Obi-Wan said. "There wasn't that much information in all honesty."

"There couldn't be considering they couldn't risk the HoloNet tracking the ships. I'll bet a lot of those files are rigged within the Imperial network," Anakin said.

"Yes, even from what I gathered from Leia, she didn't know much either. Apparently Bail didn't like to discuss what happened that much, although she said that she was under the impression that the Rebellion's beginnings was tied up with the end of the Republic," Padmé added.

"Just, how did it happen though? Where is Sidious for him to be able to manage to destroy the Republic and Jedi so easily? How close is he—" Anakin cut himself off, remembering at the last second that particular piece of information was supposed to stay in the Council Chambers.

Obi-Wan sighed: "We all need to be careful and keep our eyes open. Padmé, if you see anything suspicious within the Senate...."

"I'll notify both of you immediately," Padmé replied, before pausing in thought. "Would new votes for emergency powers be considered suspicious?"

"Perhaps," Obi-Wan said, rubbing his temple. "Why?"

"There's been talk of a further amendment this afternoon. I don't know the details or what is on it, but I would be surprised if there wasn't one."

"I fail to see why that would be suspicious. If it helps us finish the war quicker then it should go through," Anakin said.

"Anakin, this a democracy, Palpatine's been taking away everyone's freedoms bit by bit. Anymore amendments...." Padmé dropped off, groaning. "At this rate the Republic will turn into the Empire without any help."

"Palpatine's a good man, I'm sure he'll return all the powers to the Senate as soon as this war ends after we get rid of Grievous and Sidious."

"Well, now that's out of the way, what are your plans?" Obi-Wan asked, deciding to drop the topic as he looked at the couple.

"We haven't had much time to talk, or think, about it. I was thinking we could have Luke and Leia somewhere else in secret, maybe Naboo. I have a house in the lake country, no one would have to know," Padmé said, looking at Anakin to see his reaction. "I was thinking we'd have them in secret at least, that way you wouldn't have to leave the Order."

"No," Anakin said, shaking his head. "No, I'll leave the Order. I want us to be happy together as a family."

"Anakin, you must think this through—"

"I have."

"Anakin, think, this isn't just about you. If you leave the Order, the war might as well be lost," Obi-Wan said. "You're the Poster Boy, remember?"

"Then we find Sidious and end it as soon as we can."

"I have a suggestion," Luna said, deciding to enter the conversation. She had been silently eating and listening as they talked, well used to being looked over while adults were discussing important things, but she figured it was time to interrupt. "I think it might be time for someone to talk to Yoda and the other masters about changing the Jedi Code, specifically when it comes to attachments." Obi-Wan facepalmed.

"Luna, I admire your belief, but just because you think it's a good idea, doesn't mean it is or will be accepted," he told her.

"Hear me out. The Jedi forbid attachments because of jealousy; fear for what could happen to a loved one causing them to forget their duty; or in more extreme cases, being turned to the darkside. That is the argument of the Jedi. Now here's mine:

"Attachments can do more good than harm. Yes, threatening the safety of a loved one will cause a reaction, but that same loved one can help another stay in the light. Attachments can help ground people if you will. Everyone makes mistakes and can go into blinding rages, yet it is only those they love and care about that can snap them out of it. The first way to turn, or break, someone is to weaken the bonds, the attachments, between them and others. Enough fractures, and the bond will break. When that happens, they have no faith in anyone or thing, and that's where the darkness has the advantage. People are the weakest when they are alone."

Luna stopped talking, watching Obi-Wan's reaction.

"That.... I actually see your point," he said after a moment, stroking his beard. Luna gave a small smile.

"I would hope so. If you want any more reasons to change it, Luke gets rid of that part when he rebuilds the Jedi Order. He highly disliked the attachment rule as well, and there is further proof in the future that attachments to others can actually bring people back from the darkside."

"So, your plan is to get Obi-Wan to convince the rest of the Council to change the Jedi Code?" Anakin asked, staring at her surprised.

"I was actually planning to discuss it with Yoda at some point in time, but yes. That's part of the plan."

Anakin looked at Obi-Wan: "You don't have to do that."

"On the contrary, I'm not going to allow you to leave the Order without a fight. I'll bring it up tomorrow," Obi-Wan replied.

"Perhaps we should wait and get Yoda on board with it," Luna suggested. "Considering everything else that's coming up, we're going to need more support."

"Obi-Wan, I can't ask you—" Anakin started

"I'm helping and that's final," Obi-Wan said. "The Jedi Code has been around for ages, perhaps it's time for it to be updated. Besides, Luna has valid points."

"We still need a back up plan if it doesn't go through quick enough," Padmé told them.

"How far along are you?" Obi-Wan asked.

"About five months." He nodded.

"So that gives us maybe four. If we start now, we'd be cutting it close, but we might be able to get the change through before you give birth."

"You are that assuming everyone else goes for it and nothing major happens in between now and then," Anakin pointed out. "Besides, Padmé can only hide her pregnancy for so long."

"That doesn't mean we shouldn't try," Obi-Wan replied.

"I agree," Padmé said. "Anakin, I don't want to be the reason you are forced to leave the Order. I know you don't care, but I do."

Anakin looked between the two of them, before sighing: "Fine. But if the Code isn't changed, and I have to leave the Order, I will."

"I wouldn't expect anything less," Obi-Wan told him. Silence descended upon the group once more.

"Luna, I noticed you're wearing Jedi robes. I'm assuming there is a reason," Padmé said, breaking the silence.

"Yeah, I'm going to pretend to be Anakin's padawan for a little bit," the girl replied, smiling.

"The Council decided that Luna needed to be put under the Order's protection, and that is the best way to do it covertly," Anakin explained.

"I see.... Do they really think you'll be endangered?"

"They're worried about Sidious finding out about Luna and her knowledge. Hopefully she won't draw Sidious's attention, but precautionary measures have never hurt anyone," Obi-Wan replied.