Chapter 106

Anakin trotted across the restricted landing deck atop the Temple ziggurat near the base of the High Council Tower, Luna following behind him. Far across the deck stood the Supreme Chancellor's shuttle. Anakin paused, squinting at it and the two red robed guards that were flanking its open access ramp.

And coming from the direction of the shuttle was the person Anakin had been looking for most of the morning: Obi-Wan. Anakin and Luna had come to the Temple early, only to find that Obi-Wan was engaged in a rather intense Council meeting considering how long it had lasted. Anakin had decided to start Luna on Form I of lightsaber combat to try and get his mind off of why he needed to see Obi-Wan so badly. After the Council meeting had finished and Anakin had found out, he had headed off to try to find Obi-Wan, only to be stopped by a padawan that was carrying a message from Yoda, who had wanted to see Luna. Being that Anakin had his own questions, specifically those in Force prophecy, he had gone with her instead of just dropping her off at the door to Yoda's chambers.

Padmé had said that Anakin's dream must have been a metaphor, but Anakin knew better. He knew Force prophecy wasn't absolute—but his had never been wrong. Not in the slightest detail. He had known he would be a Jedi and his adventures would span the galaxy when he had been nothing but a slave boy on Tatooine. He had known the day he laid eyes on Padmé that she would one day love him and that they would marry.

He had seen his mother tortured to death, and if he had acted back then, he could have saved her. If he had come a day earlier, an hour, she may have been able to survive.

But there was another thing that had been taught by the great prophets of the Jedi, that the greatest danger in trying to prevent a vision, was causing it to come to pass. That if he tried to save Padmé, then he may end up, in some impossibility, killing her.

Part of Anakin wondered if he should question Luna about it, but as the dream was obvious and Padmé wasn't in the future with their children. Anakin had decided that he need a more concrete path of action. Luna would only know what had happened, not how to completely prevent it. She might have an idea, but there was no way she would know for sure.

Yoda hadn't even bothered to ask for details, allowing Anakin to haltingly explain his question without giving away his secret while Luna watched in silence. To be honest, Anakin had been extremely surprised at how graciously the ancient Jedi Master had allowed him into his quarters despite the fact Luna had been the only one invited, not to mention how patiently Yoda had allowed him to speak. He had always felt that Yoda disapproved of Anakin's very existence, and the ancient Jedi never really seemed to hide it.

And yet, the old master, despite obviously having many other things on his mind, most likely part of the reason he had asked to see Luna in the first place, had simply suggested that the three of them meditate together.

To say Anakin had been grateful and relieved had been an understatement. It had taken a few minutes for him to actually manage to compose himself into proper Jedi serenity.

Eventually, Yoda had opened his eyes and frowned.

"Premonitions....premonitions....deep questions they are," the old green Jedi had said. "Sense the future, once all Jedi could; now few alone have this skill. Visions....gifts from the Force, and curses. Signposts and snares. These visions of yours...."

"They are of pain," Anakin had said. "Of suffering.... And death."

"In these troubled times, no surprise this it. Yourself you see, or someone you know?"

Anakin hadn't trusted himself to answer.

"Someone close to you?" Yoda prompted gentally.

"Yes," Anakin finally replied, averting his eyes from the all too wise stare of the Yoda's, deciding to let the ancient Jedi to think that it was Obi-Wan. It would have been close enough.