Capítulo Cuatro

Chapter 4

"Xanthe, are you awake?" I heard a feminine voice call, and I groan, sitting up slowly.

"Ameena," I muttered, giving her my warmest smile with my eyes slanted.

It's super bright.

Ameena laughs and shakes her head at me, her long, black hair waving slightly. I sigh.

"Has anyone ever told you your hair is absolutely awesome? Or did you just dye it?" I ask teasingly, poking her side. She snorts.

"I've never tried to dye my hair another colour, my dad would've killed me."

I narrow my eyes at her.

"Why?" I ask, and she waves it off as if it's nothing.

"Oh, you know, desi parents," She laughs, rolling her eyes.

"Wait, I don't get it. What does desi mean?" I ask, and Ameena bursts out laughing.

"It's what a South Asian would call another South Asian, sort of," Ameena explains, shrugging.

"Ohhhhhhh," I nod my head. I look at her again. "You're...?"

"I was born in Pakistan, but we moved to Alaska when I was three and a half," She says.

Suddenly, Ameena's eyes light up.

"Hey! How about we get to know each other better? I know you're meant to be a hostage or whatever, but since the boys aren't home, I guess I can take you to the local mall. We can have a girl's outing," Ameena says, and I laugh.

Finally. I've been waiting for this moment to come since...I was born.

"I thought you hated malls," I point out, as I get up and into the bathroom. Ameena snorts.

"I do. But that's only because I have to go alone and the boys hate going to the mall. I mean, seriously, if they hate shopping so much, then where do they get their clothes from?" Ameena asks incredulously, and I burst out laughing.

"I know right! I swear, it's a miracle. Now shoo, unless you want to watch me shower," I laugh, making Ameena scrunch up her nose in an adorable way and rush out of the bathroom dramatically. I snort.

Once I've undressed and hopped into the shower, the nice, warm water hits me like a wave, and the familiar smell of Arsen's cologne almost lulls me into a deep trance. I completely lose track of the time.

Until I hear banging coming from the bathroom door.

"Xanthe, hurry! If you haven't died in there yet, then I'll let you know that you've been in there for thirty-five minutes! Aren't you prune by now?!" Ameena shouts from the other side of the door, and my eyes widen.

Oh, man, really? That's nowhere close to my limit. I was going for two hours straight in the shower.

Kidding.

I decide to take Ameena's advice and hurriedly come out of the shower since I was turning into a grandma, courtesy to Ameena for pointing that out so kindly.

Once I'm dressed, I rush down the stairs and find Ameena eating pancakes on the kitchen counter and talking to a different looking maid than the one I saw yesterday. The maid scurries off and Ameena waves at me.

"Had a nice shower?" She asks, smirking, and I laugh.

"Yes, I did," I tell her, stuffing the huge pancake all into my mouth.

Ameena laughs at how ridiculous I look.

"Whoever finishes their breakfast first, is the queen of everything," She says.