Capítulo Cincuenta y Cinco

Chapter 55

My mind had turned off.

Everything...had turned off.

I didn't know how to react, I didn't know why I should react.

Two years...I'd thought my sister was dead. Two freaking years.

And now I find out she was alive?!

To be honest, I always had a feeling in the pit of my stomach that something was wrong. That something was going to happen. And yeah, a lot did happen. But I lost--killed my parents, and now my sister was coming back.

How does that work?!

"Xanthe," Ameena says, turning up at the door of Arsen's bedroom. I look at her, and she gives me a small smile.

"I'm fine," I say quickly, wiping away my tear and not wanting her to ask me if I'm alright.

I hate it when people ask if I'm fine. It's like they purposely want me to lie about my feelings because obviously, nobody's ever going to answer with a 'no, I'm not alright', are they?

Nobody would take it seriously.

"Xanny, we need to go," Ameena mumbles. I take a deep breath.

I'd seen the autopsy report of Xena, and it'd been forged. Of course, it had! The person under Xena's grave wasn't her, it was some girl whose name I didn't even know.

"Okay," I say quietly.

Xena wasn't hiding, she wasn't on the run, she wasn't held hostage in someone's basement...she was in a mental institution.

And no one had a clue who'd put her there.

She wasn't mental. It wasn't her who was mental!

"Are you ready? Or do you want to stay behind?" Ameena asks. I shake my head with a small smile.

It hadn't been long since we tracked down the institution she'd been put in, and the answers we needed were with her.

Plus, she'd been with this gang once, these guys wanted to meet her.

I wonder if Arsen knew she was back.

Then, something clicked.

"Don! Donard! I--I killed him because I thought--I thought he--" But Ameena puts a gentle hand on my shoulder, smiling at me sadly.

"He didn't kill her, Xanthe, but everything else was true. He did rape her, and a lot of other girls too. Now, come on."

With a small tug, she walks off, and I take a deep breath, my heart beating wildly.

What was going to happen now?

It felt like my whole life had been a lie.

*~*~*~*~*

"We're here," Noah says as his car parks in front of a long, rectangular building.

It was pure white, as you'd expect, and the second and third floor had bars over the windows. 

The numbers 1, 2 and 3 were at the edge of the building's floors in black, and the circular glass doors were sliding around swiftly as nurses and psychologists bustled in and out.

The sign 'H.F.T.M.' was in purple, and the background was dark red.

I take a deep breathe and nod slowly to everyone, and we all pile out the car.