Capítulo Veinte

Chapter 20

Vicky and I freeze as we burst into the living room.

Gagging is the first thing that comes to mind for me because the scene is not pretty.

It's Loren, Tegan's grandmother. And it's Tegan, Loren's granddaughter.

She's certainly grand, I can give you that.

I turn, and Arsen's standing behind Tegan, a gun pointing to her head. My heart stops beating, and I'm about to scream when he lifts a finger slowly to his mouth to shush me.

Tegan doesn't know he's behind her.

"You're going to pay for letting her get away, grandma," She hisses.

Tegan's leaning over her grandmother, a knife in her hand, and her grandmother's chest is cut in half, Tegan's hands covered in blood.

In fact, there's blood splattered everywhere. On the walls and chairs, and a puddle bigger than Antarctica on the floor.

I try to stop myself from puking.

I see Arsen gesture to Vicky, and she nods, before putting a hand on my shoulder quietly and pulling me backwards.

"Sorry, but I'm going to have to let you go," Tegan giggles.

My eyes widen in horror as her hand stabs into the slit on her grandmother's chest, and I look away just when she takes her hand back out. We quietly run out of the room.

Vicky and I rush to the back door in Loren's kitchen, and as soon as we're out, I turn to the side and hurl. Vicky holds my hair for me.

"That wasn't pretty," I manage to croak before heaving all over again.

"That's just the beginning, Xanthe, you haven't seen the most of it. Let's go," She says, before passing me a tissue and creeping around to the side of the house.

I wipe my mouth and take out the Starburst in my back pocket, before following after her quickly.

We round the corner and come to a stop when we see a trap door on the floor. Vicky and I share a look before we go over to it and pull it open.

"What do you think's down there?" I ask, peering into the musty darkness and just about making out wooden stairs.

"I don't know, I'm assuming their basement," Vicky mutters.

She hauls herself into the cellar - or basement - and saunters down the steps. I follow her, keeping well away from the webs.

Once we're down, we stop.

"Damn," Vicky whistles, looking at the long tunnel before us.

Before any of us move forward, we hear a loud, echoing bang from upstairs, and freeze. My heart hammers in my chest and my blood runs cold.

That wasn't...oh, no, that couldn't have been...

"Don't think about it, Xanthe. It helps if you don't think about it," Vicky says before carrying on walking.

I stop thinking about it.

It's not like I didn't see it coming. He is a gang leader.

Maybe what Aisha said is true. Maybe he is just an impulsive, cold-hearted person who cares about himself only.

I mean, Arsen gets what Arsen wants, am I right?

I ignore my thumping heart and the bad headache, and instead, take out my phone to turn the flashlight on.