Capítulo Treinta

Chapter 30

"Is everything okay, Ariadne?" The teacher asked.

I looked up, and only just realized that I'd been clicking the top of my pen over and over again.

Oh, so that's what that noise was?

"Um, yeah," I answer, pretending to be shy. My first lesson and I'm already wishing it would end.

How many hours do we have left? Oh, five.

"Good," He replies, giving me a sharp smile. I sigh.

Well, he hates me.

"Xanny, what's wrong?" Ameena asks silently, leaning in a little. I sigh once again.

"I'm dying," I whisper back. She rolls her eyes and puts her hand up.

"Yes, Ameena?" The teacher asks, annoyed that another interruption was made in his very charming story of Le Renard Roux.

"Uh, Ariadne's not feeling well," She says, nudging me. I cough slightly. The teacher raises his eyebrow.

"Really?" He asks, glancing at me. I give a solemn look and nod. The teacher sighs and finally gives in.

"Fine! Ameena, please take Ariadne to the nurse's office," The teacher answers, giving us both another very sharp smile.

I give an embarrassed smile back as everyone turns to smirk at us. One girl even goes as far as to give us a thumbs up.

Damn this posh school. You can't even hate the teachers!

Ameena immediately stands up, and I don't realize she's got a grip on my arm until she pulls me up too. So hard, in fact, that I'm almost worried my poor arm will come off.

We pack everything away, and I stuff my notes - that I didn't take - and my pencil case - that I didn't need - in my bag, making sure the pistol is well covered.

Every time someone looks at my tiny backpack, I get an uneasy feeling that they know what's in it. But then I realize I'm just being paranoid. Like always.

"What's really going on?" Ameena growls once we're finally out of the classroom. I roll my eyes.

"I'm not feeling well," I point out. She scoffs and grabs my arm, pulling me towards the nearest door she can find.

When we barge in, my mouth falls at what I see.

It's like a living room.

Literally.

There are three couches laid out triangularly, and a huge flatscreen TV in front, with a small fridge at the back, and the whole other wall covered in shelves of books.

And I'm still wondering why there's no one in here.

"This is my homeroom," Ameena says, nodding at my reaction. I laugh.

So it isn't a random door she pulled me into.

"They weren't kidding about the 'home' bit, huh?" I ask, turning on the light switch.

Even that was fancy. What kind of school has a golden light switch, for Heaven's sake?!

"It's a students only room, just like the staff have their own. There's more of these, but each room is assigned to different groups of people. And entering the wrong one will start a war," She explains, laughing.

I shake my head. "This is crazy."

"So hey, are you still shook from your meeting with Principal Crissler?" She asks, plopping onto the huge couch and sinking in immediately.